 Space / 39152
39151  |  39153
Subject:
I'm Back!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 09:18:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi everyone,

Well I'm back from the brink of darkness and pulled my bricks back out a week
ago. They had been retired simply because I did not have the time to build
anymore. But I had a week off from work and the urge to build so I set about
finishing the model I started a year ago:

The Magellan Deep Space Charting and Exploration Vessel
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/zac-soden/Space/Magellan/Exterior/magellan_l.jpg
Preview deep link>
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=140019 Entire Folder (when
moderated)>

The Magellan is just one of a number of light sized vessels used by the United
Space for charts the the fringes of the terran civilisation. Whilst deep space
probes perform initial exploration, it is the charting vessels that actually
follow probe data and create precise navigational and hyperspace charts.

The forward passive/active scanner array performs most of the data collation but
when this complex system is inadequate, the Magellan is able to launch its own
short range scanner probes from the port and starboard launchers mounted
amidships.

------

This one's for Mladen Pejic. When I was toying with the initial planning of this
double-thickness walled beast we had some great discussions. He thought I could
pull it off - I spose now we shall see.....

Most of the inspiration came from Soren's wonderful pirate ships (the antenna
atop midships is a dead giveaway there). The rest of the design is based around
my signature Lateral line based minimal visible stud concept, as used on my last
3 models.

Anyways take alook at the pics and let me know what you think. I confess to
getting a bit bored with it by the end and skimped out on a few of the internal
technical features. Oh well, next time.

Zac Soden