 Space / 38921
38920  |  38922
Subject:
Some Word on Teaching Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:06:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.general, Paul B Hartzog wrote:

well, I finished teaching my last Lego class for the University of Utah
recently.  Got my Masters degree and a fellowship to U Mich, so me and the fam
and the lego are moving to Ann Arbor.

Can you expand on this?  What is a LEGO class, and how does one convince a
respectable university to let you teach one?  Would you happen to have a
syllabus or other course notes available?

You aren't the only one to ask :-)

Basically, many Universities have Youth Ed programs throughout the year and
particularly in summer.  Kids like the brick, so those classes are pretty high
priority.

I lucked into the job because of the Lego Roadshow (it got me some local
notice).

I'll share my syllabi with anyone who emails me.  The most important thing I did
for the older kids was a day in the library surfing all the important sites the
AFOL community has to maintain our brick addiction:  lugnet, bricklink, etc.

If I do it again, I'm gonna do more followup with the students to get them to be
more active.  I would've done it here in Utah but we don't have any events for
them to attend or LUG or anything :-(

-p