 Space / 36633
Re: Combat strategies and tactics in space. Was: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:23:24 GMT

   I didn’t say that you didn’t account for the physics involved, I said that you didn’t consider what impact the sheer scale of space would have on combat strategies and tactics. One can postulate methods around the laws of physics as currently known, but only within reason.

The scales are still staggering by normal conparison. Consider a battle at earth to moon distances . Detection time is in the order of 2-3 seconds to cover the distance. Lets use a 300 G acceleration...d=1/2AT^2, and one light second (300 000 000m/s)=.5*(300*9.81)*t^2

You end up with 451 seconds between launch and arrival.

Giving you almost 7.5 min to react, and get out of dodge.

(although during the last second, the object travels 1 327 293 m (1327 km, or about the distance from here to Calgary, give or take...)

   That much is obvious. At any rate, I should’ve specified that I meant distances beyond the Earth’s (effective or measurable) gravitational influence. For the sake of discussion, imagine a battlefield of not greater volume than the Solar System.

See above why it is not practical, IMO, to have a battle space much larger than a few tens of thousands of KM, not much bigger than area defined by LEO.

   posed an assumption the validity of which is contingent upon clearly defined technical parameters, and as such, must be stated. If such has not been developed, this statement is not an argument but rather a technically baseless opinion.

True, which is why I think that a battle space of in the order of 30 000-60 000 km “square” is a practical limit for a insystem drive that does not have near instant acceleration. Even given cannon accelleration rates, or lightspeed weapons, a battlefield much larger than 60 000 km across allows the opponents to manouver outside of attack profiles. You’d have a elaborate dance until somone got unlucky.

   Not true, radar and laser (active) detection are not practical above a certain distance, depending on the ranges involved and the powers and resolution of the transceiving sensors. Furthermore, active use of sensor systems isn’t a good idea for general use, as it clearly identifies one’s position and vector, for little gain. Even if one does have a good idea as to the enemy’s location, return signals might take weeks to detect, at which time you might not even be in a position to receive sensor echos. In order to do so, one would have to know the vectors of the enemy in the first place, in which case it would be pointless to even use active sensors. Passive sensor use would be much better for these reasons. The situation is quite analogous to submarine warfare.

Passive sensors are not really practical either due to sensor and transmitter lag. If you can eliminate the transmission lag, then they might play a part, but until that happens, too bad, so sad.

   How’d you reach that line of reasoning? You’re assuming that we will have switched to a defensive type of warfare. The Strategic Defense Initiative (Starwars was a name given by political and media detractors of SDI) would’ve been much more useful in a scenario in which we executed a first-strike than one in which we try to absolutely stop all enemy weapons from detonating on target. One would use offensive weapons to destroy the vast majority of the enemy’s retaliatory ability, and then use defensive systems to intercept the percentage of the enemy’s weapons that would inevitably survive and be employed. I think this scenario would be more applicable to space combat than any defensive based warfare.

Which is why some of us think SDI is a BAD idea in the first place, because it puts people into a use it or loose it mentality. MAD was a good, agreed on stratagy. Neither side could see a way to “win” a nuke war. Now, what happens when the US pushes NK too far right now? They are in a use it or loose it position...they are going to gamble that the US wants LA or Honolulu more than it wants Seoul. They may be wrong, but the US is going to loose just the same.

   What do you mean by “advanced”? The weapons of which I was speaking (enhanced-radiation and bomb-pumped x-ray lasers) are merely different types of nuclear weapons. Enhanced-radiation weapons work by maximizing the fusion output of a bomb in relation to fission output, as the spectra of radiation emitted by fusion is more applicable to the role of enhanced-radiation devices than the radiation spectra of fission. This is accomplished with a multitude of techniques, such as removing the third-stage of a fission-fusion-fission (FFF) bomb, which would otherwise use the energy emitted by the fusion stage so as to undergo fission and enhance the bomb’s yield. I’m not sure exactly how X-ray lasers work, but somehow fibre optics are used to channel the radiation emitted by the bomb (FF, I believe, though it might also be accomplished with an FFF bomb or plain fission bomb) into a phased stream of x-rays.

Best book for a non techinical disscussion on some varients of nuke devices is probably “Project Orion”, which makes interesting science fact reading anyway. I’d thoughly recommend it to any si-fi reader.

(and no, X-ray lasers don’t work by using fiber optics...the gamma radiation pulse is used to convert something that is optically clear to X rays into X rays from gamma radiation. I think Styrofoam is one of the chemicals of choice. Read Moorland’s essays about the H bomb to gain a better understanding, but suffice to say, all of the detail design for FFF bombs is classified. Born classified, in fact. By careful engineering and testing, it is possible to get up to 85% directed effects of a nuke. There is some more about it in Project Orion, but not much because of the problems of classification of all information and the fact that Orion were not the bomb designers “at work” but them at play instead. (and they were so darn’d close...so very close, but so far away)

Physical realities would dictate how large a volume a space battle could occur within. If FTL is limited to large objects, then a small volume battle will result. If FTL sensing and commo are also in existance, a larger volume will result. If FTL weapons and sensors/commo exist, then truely massive distances are possible between combatants. (limited by how fast FTL is). The relative energy of objects at truely astounding velocities mean that if you can hit a opponent, they are basically dead.

James Powell