 Space / 36626
Re: Combat strategies and tactics in space. Was: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 03:46:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, Niels Bugge wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer wrote:
   Yes, though I think our central disagreement stems from the fact that you’re not thinking of the sheer scale involved in space. The energies, velocities, and distances involved in anything relating to deep space are such that not even nuclear weapons provide the kind of energy density that one would truly desire for space combat.

   Ok, lets go straight to the roots then: In my view the basic disagreement is, put to the extremes, if one should “shape reality to fit sci-fi” or “shape sci-fi to fit reality”, where I have a bias toward the first one, and doesn’t really consider the last one sci-fi as the fiction-part of sci-fi implies being able to do something that’s impossible by today’s standards or technologies. It’s incorrect that I don’t take the physics of space combat into consideration, and it’s very much a part of my vision on how space battles could be (made) possible, so in the following I’ll spend some time trashing yours ;-)

I didn’t say that you didn’t account for the physics involved, I said that you didn’t consider what impact the sheer scale of space would have on combat strategies and tactics. One can postulate methods around the laws of physics as currently known, but only within reason.

   1: Yes, space is very large, but that does only mean that you have to have some kind of warp- or hyperspeed drive in order to get to the battlefield in the first place (which probably wouldn’t be in deep space unless it was a pitched battle which is already a thing of the past).

That much is obvious. At any rate, I should’ve specified that I meant distances beyond the Earth’s (effective or measurable) gravitational influence. For the sake of discussion, imagine a battlefield of not greater volume than the Solar System.

How exactly is a pitched battle a “thing of the past”? One cannot say that such would not occur in space unless specific technical parameters are previously defined. I assume that if you can so decisively state such a thing, you have already defined and analyzed relevant technical capabilities. Would you be so kind as to share these along with your method of derivation? :)

   2: Closing the remaining distance relatively fast shouldn’t therefore pose much of a problem.

You have presupposed an assumption the validity of which is contingent upon clearly defined technical parameters, and as such, must be stated. If such has not been developed, this statement is not an argument but rather a technically baseless opinion.

   3: And then we can have a good old style naval battle in sub lightspeed, where fighters has been proved very useful.

This is an even less valid statement, as the environments in which theoretical space fighters and atmospheric fighters (would) operate are completely different. The main reasons (modern) naval fighters are so useful in an anti-shipping role is that they are able to operate beyond the range of surface-based weapons, within a faster time frame than a conventional surface battle would occur (as atmospheric fighters are able to achieve much greater velocities than surface warships), as well as operate over the horizon where enemy vessels cannot be targeted. Space fighters would not be useful in any of these roles, as none of the limitations of surface-based warships would exist in space. In fact, larger warships would be better for both matters of logistical economy and for purely physical reasons. For example, as the fuel capacity of a space warship in relation to mass would be much greater than for a fighter, the warship could eventually achieve greater velocities than a smaller vessel.

   If I understand you right, you envision a kind of battle where the fleets can see each other from a huge distance and start firing nuclear weapons (and anti-nuclear weapons?) until one of them is destroyed.

Somewhat, though anti-nuclear weapons is a misnomer, as there are many other ways to avoid nuclear hits than through the use of purely defensive weapons. Evasion and survival tactics would be a much more descriptive name.

   Here’s what I don’t like about that:

A: If the fleets and nukes are moving above lightspeed, finding each other would probably be the biggest problem as it’s impossible (AFAIK) to detect anything above that speed before impact (or after it has passed you or otherwise too late) given the lightspeed limit of waves, so in a battle fought at that speed you wouldn’t be able to communicate with friendlies nor pinpoint the enemy (as radio and radar works at lightspeed), so it would be condemned to a big ridiculous mess of ships racing around blindly firing big large area nuclear weapons hitting friends and foes alike.

Objects with mass in normal 4-space would have to consume an infinite amount of energy to achieve lightspeed, and would not be able to exceed same. Any battles in realspace would occur below lightspeed.

   So I believe that battles have to take place in subspeed. B: Then there’s two possibilities: Either my points 1-3 where the fleets slow down beneath lightspeed in order to fight or they can’t get above that speed at all, in which case: C: Given the large distances in space, no contact or hostilities is realistic,

Not at all true, you’re simply providing another opinion that cannot be verified without first identifying and specifying physical and technical parameters.

   and an approaching fleet or barrage of nuclear missiles would be spotted with current wave detection technology.

Not true, radar and laser (active) detection are not practical above a certain distance, depending on the ranges involved and the powers and resolution of the transceiving sensors. Furthermore, active use of sensor systems isn’t a good idea for general use, as it clearly identifies one’s position and vector, for little gain. Even if one does have a good idea as to the enemy’s location, return signals might take weeks to detect, at which time you might not even be in a position to receive sensor echos. In order to do so, one would have to know the vectors of the enemy in the first place, in which case it would be pointless to even use active sensors. Passive sensor use would be much better for these reasons. The situation is quite analogous to submarine warfare.

   LONG before they arrive = no element of surprise, and you have plenty of time to prepare a warm welcome (assuming that you’re able to defend yourself in the first place!).

See above.

   D: A battle fought at that speed would probably be a test of how many nuclear and anti nuclear rockets you’d brought, and who runs out first, so your money would be spend wiser on building rockets than ships and send them alone,

With the current power of weapons technology, offensive weapons are always preferable to defense, as it is far more economical to do so. Depending on the ranges involved, winning the battle might rather be a test of who achieved the most accurate targeting solutions than who can bring to bear more firepower. As I’ve said before, a definite answer would of course depend on specific parameters.

   and then we’re back to a situation very much like the cold war and the philosophy behind the Starwars project(s): Not sci-fi at all if you ask me.

How’d you reach that line of reasoning? You’re assuming that we will have switched to a defensive type of warfare. The Strategic Defense Initiative (Starwars was a name given by political and media detractors of SDI) would’ve been much more useful in a scenario in which we executed a first-strike than one in which we try to absolutely stop all enemy weapons from detonating on target. One would use offensive weapons to destroy the vast majority of the enemy’s retaliatory ability, and then use defensive systems to intercept the percentage of the enemy’s weapons that would inevitably survive and be employed. I think this scenario would be more applicable to space combat than any defensive based warfare.

   BTW: How does those advanced nuclear weapons you talk about all the time actually work?

What do you mean by “advanced”? The weapons of which I was speaking (enhanced-radiation and bomb-pumped x-ray lasers) are merely different types of nuclear weapons. Enhanced-radiation weapons work by maximizing the fusion output of a bomb in relation to fission output, as the spectra of radiation emitted by fusion is more applicable to the role of enhanced-radiation devices than the radiation spectra of fission. This is accomplished with a multitude of techniques, such as removing the third-stage of a fission-fusion-fission (FFF) bomb, which would otherwise use the energy emitted by the fusion stage so as to undergo fission and enhance the bomb’s yield. I’m not sure exactly how X-ray lasers work, but somehow fibre optics are used to channel the radiation emitted by the bomb (FF, I believe, though it might also be accomplished with an FFF bomb or plain fission bomb) into a phased stream of x-rays.