 Space / 36631
36630  |  36632
Subject:
Technical nits (Was: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:44:19 GMT

OK, as long as we’re picking nits... :-)

In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer wrote:

   Without an atmosphere, conventional kinetic damage (including heat) will not propagate nearly as well as it would in the presence of air.

Actually, heat (a form of radiation, *not* kinetic energy) will propagate *better* in space than in an atmosphere. But for a bomb outside the atmosphere, a higher percentage of the yield will go into direct kinetic energy of the bomb parts (called, in this case, gas/plasma expansion), and not into secondary forms of energy like radiant energy.

   Bomb-pumped x-ray lasers

Just an FYI, these (first generation) were generally a cylinder of aligned tungstun wires. The gamma radiation from a nuclear detonation would pump the tungsten electrons up to hgih enough energies that you’d get X-ray emission, directed primarily along the axis of the wires. BTW, I was never clear as to if this was a “laser” (as in stimulated emission) or just a lot of X-ray emission in a short time from alinear source - there would be a *big* difference in the percentage of the output directed at the target.

   The energies, velocities, and distances involved in anything relating to deep space are such that not even nuclear weapons provide the kind of energy density that one would truly desire for space combat.

I’d agree, but I think you’re underestimating it as well. Google for the term “R-bombing” and see what turns up. It becomes a question of what accelerations and speeds you have in your fictional universe, but quite possibly kinetic kill projectiles with no warheads at all make more (economic) sense. If you are positing ships that can get to anything near lightspeed, forget about nuclear weapons, they’re pointless. The best bombs convert something like a few percent of their rest mass into energy... but a raisin hitting at 0.8 c delivers 100% of it’s rest mass energy. Ouch.

   and spaceships wouldn’t be painted since paint weighs and costs money (NASA skipped painting the main rockets for the spaceshuttles recently to save a lot of bucks per launch).

Yes, they’d still be painted, for the same reason the orbiter (space shuttle) still is - thermal control. There’s a *reason* the bulk of the orbiter is white (to reflect sunlight and thus prevent heating - heat rejection is a bear in a vacuum), and a *reason* the tiles & RCC surfaces are black (makes them much more efficient heat radiators). NASA rapidly stopped painting the ET (external tank) not due to the cost of the paint (trivial, on those cost scales) but due to the weight of the paint (not trivial, in terms of the final mass lofted to orbit). To my knowledge, they have never flown with unpainted rockets (the SRB’s), just the ET.

-- Brian Davis