 Space / 32250
Re: Neptune's Moon Lagoon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:46:09 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Ley Ward wrote:
   Oops! Um, wrong parallel universe. But, there would be some solar tidal pull, though not as strong.

Solar pull on the Earth’s tides is pretty weak compared to the lunar pull. It’d probably be even weaker compared to terran pull on the moon. Tides might fluctuate an inch or two throughout the lunar month, but not enough to get a good surf going.

Yeah, I should have included the word miniscule, but I defer to those in possession of the facts; I could easily have been off by an order of magnitude.

   You mean, the fact that the water is ‘imported’ in barrels from the tanks downstairs; the very tanks used to replenish the pool?

Um, yeah, something like that. They’re, um, not just used to replenish the pool, though. Spillover (you know, I just realized that I never added any drainage sills), ends up getting processed through those tanks for return.

Ewwww! Actually, I always suspected as much, but I wasn’t sure about your plumbing. At least I couldn’t make a case that would hold water...

/ ducks.

   And who here wasn’t slightly off-put by the opening scene of Waterworld (I never understood why that contraption wouldn’t work on ocean water just as easily)?

Ah yes, the hopeless maze of ‘Hollywood Logic’...

snip

I’d also like to thank you for the helmet idea. Our own veteran spaceman, Major Tom has spent years without a visor. (I don’t believe he ever had one.) This is one of the few new-fangled developments he has any time for. He looks like his usual grumpy self, but I can assure you he is insanely happy; just look at that smile...

You should hear his endless tales of the days of pre-Classic Space and the primitive equipment they were stuck with. “Nothin’ like all that fancy gear you young folks have. Back in my day we used bricks and were happy about it.” How many times have I heard that?

Peace and pure water,

Professor Whateverly