 Technic / Bionicle / 2324
Re: Neptune's Moon Lagoon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:10:14 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
Well, since the pool works in a vacuum, the water must be contantly boiling
out into space, and with an astonishingly fast rate too. You've modelled
this effect nicly with the studs on the trans dark blue plates

I built it more as absurdist comedic piece, since there are clearly more things
wrong about it than there are right.  Cartoon physics applies, so the water
doesn't boil away, exposed skin isn't desicated (though I did originally plan to
have everyones' exposed body parts be sunburned), C-3PO is actually tough...
The whole thing is littered with sight gags, but some of them are quite obscure
(I tried to make sure that every single one was clearly photographed, even if
they're not immediately obvious).

The look of the blue tiles over the tan studs was purely accidental.  The first
two rows only look like they're boiling because that's the only place where the
studs underneath the tiles aren't also trans-blue.  Originally, I'd hoped that
by sloping the beach down to the pool floor even under the "water" would result
in progressively darker stripes of trans-blue.  It might have worked with
trans-light blue or trans-neon blue, but trans-dark-blue is dark enough that you
can't tell the difference between the three deeper layers.  Unfortunately, it
was the only one that was available in sufficient quantities that I could
actually fill the pool.