 Space / 28661
28660  |  28662
Subject:
DropSheep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:15:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I liked the RoboSheep from the NWBC so much, I felt inspired to make a Lambding
Craft for them, a DropSheep. :-)

Launched from a MotherSheep in orbit, the DropSheep, one of thousands, screams
down into the atmosphere at hypersonic speed. The air defense missile pods and
countermeasure dispensers extend when the speed drops below Mach 3, the point at
which fighters or ground launched interceptor missiles might have a chance to
engage the DropSheep. Hypersonic and exoatmospheric threats are effectively
handled by the fleet of MotherSheep in orbit.

Once the DropSheep is in range of the LZ, the nose cannon may be used to
eliminate nearby armored vehicles and bunkers. Area saturation rockets in the
upper pod are mainly employed against troop concentrations.

To get the sheep in the mood for battle, just prior to touchdown, the heat
shields on the loudspeaker system are opened and the sheep's version of "Ride of
the Valkyries" is played. To humans it would just sound like an earsplitting,
unbearably painful cacaphony.

The landing legs then extend from their aerodynamic stowed position and the
DropSheep hits the ground hard and fast, an impact cushioned somewhat by four
banks of powerful retro thrusters, but fatally abrupt by the standards of
organic beings.

Upon landing, the perimeter defense particle cannon is extended from the upper
pod's protective fairing to disentegrate anyone who might attempt a counter
assault in this perceived moment of vulnerability.

Disembarkation of the RoboSheep is swift as they scramble down the folding rear
ramp. Another world soon falls to the flag of the White Fleece!

When the sheep have devoured all that is worth consuming, the DropSheep blasts
off, and the crushing acceleration of its oversized thrust vectoring engines get
it back up to the MotherSheep in minutes. Then it's on to the next world.

ps - The interior shot shows the fluorescent tubes above the bench seats. These
are, of course, ultra harsh white!

Also the DropSheep deploys RoboSheep of the more dangerous Heavy Armor variant.
The ones at NWBC were just Light Armor scouts, the reduced mass allowing them
limited flight capabilities with a repulsorlift system.