 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3972

Subject:
LNPd with USB Tower - success?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:45:12 GMT

Hi,
I'm new here. My name is Pierluigi and I am a student at the Turin
Polytechnic (http://www.polito.it,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politecnico_di_Torino ).
I've used BrickOS with LNPd for a summer project, and I've recently
bought the Robotics Invention System 2.0, that comes with a USB IR
Tower.

This tower works pretty well with BrickOS (I can download the firmware
and test programs), but AFAIK is not supported at all by LNPd (there's
even a related item in the TODO list).

In order to improve the situation I've been hacking all the day and now
I think I might have a LNPd version that at least lets you download
programs with lnpdllx, at slow speed. It worked with every example
program distributed with BrickOS but rover.lx, and I'm still looking
into the matter.

If anybody is interested please reply to this message; I'm more than
willing to share my findings and my source files. I've used BrickOS and
LNPd version 0.9.0 and the h8300 toolchain that come with Ubuntu 5.10
'Breezy Badger'.

I know that the netiquette requires to lurk for a bit on a list before
posting, so I sincerely apologize if this isn't news. It might be that
there is already extensive support for the LNPd + USB tower, but I
couldn't find any piece of information about it.

HTH,
Pierluigi Rolando

Re: LNPd with USB Tower - success?
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Pierluigi Rolando wrote:
[...]

I've never used LNPd, but since it's old enough to have "legOS" as its first
letter, then it must support the serial IR tower. If no one else has info for
you, you might consider buying one. Pitsco sells it new for $31.00:

http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=390

You can get them new or used on BrickLink, too, for under $10:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=serial

Re: LNPd with USB Tower - success?