 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3203
3202  |  3204
Subject:
BrickOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:47:08 GMT

I'm trying to compile BrickOS on Mac OS X.  I'm actually surprised at how
well it's been going considering it looks like no one has tried it yet.

I've compiled gnu binutils-2.13.1 hosted on darwin6.4, targeted at h8300.
That seemed to work fine out of the box (configure, make went down smoothly)

With gcc-2.95.3, I ran into a few snafus.  There were quite a  lot of
warnings of redefining some macros -- HOST_BITS_PER_INT, I believe was
different between h8300 and rs6000 (ppc).  I believe I allowed the h8300
value to override the rs6000 value.

stddef.h and mem.h had conflicting definitions of size_t, I allowed mem.h's
through

BITS_PER_UNIT came up as undefined (!!), so I threw in a flag -DBITS_PER_UNIT=8.

All right, but binutils and gcc are compiled, with a little bit of build
wrangling

Here's where I run into the problem, building BrickOS:

brickos/util/makelx helloworld.ds1 helloworld.ds2 helloworld.lx
malformed symbolsrec file at line 2
make[1]: *** [helloworld.lx] Error 255

Has anyone run into this error building for other platforms (so I might know
where to look next? )

My 3 guesses, as outlined above, are
1) HOST_BITS_PER_INT -- should this be set to the rs6000 or h8300?
2) stddef.h vs mem.h   -- I assume that the kernel mem.h needs size_t to be
as defined in the header, but perhaps by forcing gcc to use that, I'm
creating a problem with darwin (the host system)'s size_t.  Could this be
fixed with a configure flag?
3) BITS_PER_UNIT -- I'd be surprised if it was something other than 8, but
why isn't this defined somewhere?  (although it very well may not be on your
end of things)

I realize that OS X is not supported yet, but any help would be greatly
appreciated -- If I can get this working, I'd be happy to post binaries of
compiled binutils/gcc (since they're pain to compile) or perhaps patches

Thanks,
Matt