 Robotics / NXT / 267
    Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Geoffrey Hyde
   I'm looking for ways to build this sensor into a studless beam project of mine, and I was wondering, given it's large size and the comparative brightness of the LED used to light it, how can I use it to detect if an object is blocking a path? (...) (17 years ago, 16-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Philippe Hurbain
   Hello Geoffrey, (...) First, don't worry about heat - such leds are really cool (thermically wise) devices! This one dissipates only about 20 mW... Your fiber optic cable idea is interesting... and it works well! I used the fiber optic cable (...) (17 years ago, 17-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Geoffrey Hyde
      "Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:JAF8tF.16H@lugnet.com... (...) That's good to hear. (...) I'll have to download and check out your program. It looks great! I'll also have to see if I can get the sensor to detect 1x1 (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         Re: Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Philippe Hurbain
     Hi Geoffrey, (...) Detecting 1x1 plates should not be hard if they pass close to fiber optic end to efficiently block light. (...) I believe it's caused by the blue background I used that somewhat fooled my camera white balance. That said there is a (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Brian Davis
   (...) I've also used this the other way around, using a fiber optic cable to route light to the phototransistor itself. Do this with more than one light sensor, and you can have much better spatial resolution (the ends of two fiber optic cables can (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Philippe Hurbain
   (...) Hi Brian, What kind of application needed this precision? Line follower? Did you need to shield the fiber to avoid stray coupling of light to the phototransistor? Philo (17 years ago, 18-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Has anyone figured out how to improve the NXT light sensor? —Brian Davis
   (...) Yes. I didn't end up using it because speed ended up being more critical than precision, but for narrow lines I may go back to it. I suspect I might be able to use it to follow lines drawn by a black marker. (...) No. Well, kind of. I used a (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)