 Robotics / NXT / 234
Re: nxt + i2c sp03 Text-To-Speech?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:15:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Tony Buser wrote:
I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy.  I have very little experience
designing circuits.  To show how little I know, I'm actually reading
through Electronics Projects for Dummies at the moment.  ;)  Well in
this book they describe a simple text-to-speech project and I thought
it would be cool to create a tts module for the nxt.  So I've been
doing some research and found this i2c text-to-speech synthesizer,
sp03: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R184-SP03.html and this
great page on interfacing with the nxt i2c:
http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/lego/i2c-8574/

However after reading through the docs, it appears the nxt only
provides 4.3v, but the sp03 requires 4.5 - 5.5v.  For people who know
better, would this mean I wouldn't be able to power it using the power
from the sensor port directly?  Would that 0.2v make a difference or
could I use the other wire that supplies 9v for rcx-type analog
sensors to power it?

I'd say its worth a try from the 4.3v supply from the NXT. I note that the SP03
spec. says it has a 3v regulator onboard, so its not really running from 5v
anyhow. The I2C signals are open drain, so they should be ok unless their inputs
won't work correctly from the 3.3v levels available from the NXT ouptuts.

Remember you'll need pullup resistors. I'd suggest something in the 47k - 82k
area. Of course that would be to a 3.3v rail. If you chose 56k, then pull down
resistors of 220k would limit the swing to about 3.4v. It may not be necessary
to use pull down resistors as the NXT has built in over-voltage clamp diodes I
believe.

JB