 Robotics / Events / 194
Re: Robo Waiter - a BrickFest PDX Robot competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.events
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 03:02:19 GMT

A couple of people have asked for rule clarifications. To be fair to everyone
competing, below is what I've sent them. This doesn't change any of the rules I
posted before, and probably shouldn't change how you build or program your
robot.

I'll use a stop watch to time the robots, I'll call out "ready, set, go"; you'll
have the option to start your robot however you want, either by pressing the run
button, with a remote, or whatever you like, so long as the robot doesn't start
moving before the signal.

There will be a thin red line to mark the starting line, your robot needs to be
entirely behind that line to start. The same line is used to mark laps. Every
time your robot's front edge crosses the line, that will count as a lap. Since
there is no way for your robot to tell that it has done three laps, (it is
unlikely that your robot will be able to detect the line) after the third lap,
you may catch your robot, and turn it off, or use the remote, etc. Robots should
be fast enough to complete each lap in under a minute, and hence the entire
course in under three minutes.

I don't know how long the course will be until I get there. I plan to make a
rough oval or perhaps kidney shape on the available space, (5'x8') with about a
foot free around the edge, so that gives an idea. Make sure your robot can
handle driving over a piece of duct tape (don't drag bricks on the ground, and
you should be okay) -- I'll use white duct tape to smooth out the seam between
the two tables or surfaces. The rules say the line will be 3/4" black tape, and
that each 'segment' is at least 6" long. The corners are allowed to be up to 60
degree turns, though most will be a lot less than that. As long as part of your
robot is still 'on' the line, I'll assume that you're tracking it. That means
you don't have to follow the line with a light sensor directly over the line at
all times. You can smooth out corners. But don't smooth them out so much that
your robot doesn't cover at least part of the line at all times.

Also, since several people are planning on flying in with their robots, I've had
questions about carrying them on airplanes. I've traveled with robots in my
carry-on luggage a couple of times since 9/11. Usually I put it in a plastic
bag, one that I can remove much of the air out of, and make sure that I pack it
securely so that it won't break (at least too much).

When I get to the front of the security line, where you put your bags on the
conveyor to go through the x-ray machines, I always make it a point to very
plainly tell the person on this side of the security check that I have a Lego
robot in my luggage. (Use short sentences and short words so that they can
understand :-). I also offer to remove it so that they can examine it. So far
they've always told me it's not a problem, just leave it. I think that being
forthcoming about something that might be suspicious removes most of the
suspicion they might have.

Finally, even if you're not bringing a laptop, make sure you bring your program
on a floppy or perhaps even better these days, a CDR. There will be other people
with laptops, so that if something inadvertently happens, you can still reload
your program. Include a copy of your firmware, which you might have to reload,
and a copy of your development environment on the disk too, since when you get
there, you might want to make last minute changes.

--
  David Schilling

In lugnet.robotics, David Schilling wrote:
Announcing a robot competition for BrickFest PDX...

Robo Waiter: Line tracking while carrying mini-soccer balls
-----------

Build a Robotic Waiter that can carry a tray full of mini Lego soccer balls (or
equivalently, basket balls) around a track. Loosing balls from your tray will
add a time penalty. The Robo Waiter with the lowest time (including penalties),
WINS! A second prize will be given to the best dressed, functioning robot.

Each robot will have three chances to attempt the course. Only the best time
counts.

The robot must carry seven (7) balls on a tray, which must be the highest point
on your robot at all times. The tray is a 6x6 square plate, with four tiles
covering the middle 4x4 area, two 1x4 and two 1x6 plates forming the lip of the
tray. See
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/plate.gif

Loosing the first ball will add 5 seconds to your score. Each additional ball
lost will add n*5 more seconds to your score.

Balls Ball         Total
Lost  Penalty      Penalty
  1   5 seconds    5 seconds
  2  10 seconds   15 seconds
  3  15 seconds   30 seconds
  4  20 seconds   50 seconds
  5  25 seconds   75 seconds
  6  30 seconds  105 seconds
  7  35 seconds  140 seconds

Robots must be built of only standard Lego elements, and only with standard
building methods. No custom sensors, modified elements, or gluing, etc.

The tray must be the highest point on your robot at all times. Robots must be no
larger than 12 inches by 12 inches. There are no other restrictions on how many
or what elements may be used by your robot.

The line will be a closed loop, using 3/4" black tape on a white surface. Each
line segment will be at least 6" long, and the sharpest turn will be 60 degrees.
Robots will complete three laps or circuits of this loop per attempt.

Robots that entirely leave the line at any point will be given an DNC (did not
complete) instead of a score for that round. Any robot unable to complete a
single circuit within a minute will also be given an DNC.

The main prize is for the fastest waiter. There will also be a second prize for
the "Best Dressed Robo Waiter". Note that the robot for this prize must be a
*functioning* robot! It must be able to carry a tray of balls around the course
at least once.

Good luck!

--
  David Schilling