 Robotics / Events / 190
Re: Robo Waiter - a BrickFest PDX Robot competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.events
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:32:55 GMT

This is by no means an Official reply, but I know David is mad at his computer,
and e-mail, so he may not reply right away.  :)

In lugnet.robotics.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, David Schilling wrote:
Announcing a robot competition for BrickFest PDX...

The line will be a closed loop, using 3/4" black tape on a white surface. Each
line segment will be at least 6" long, and the sharpest turn will be 60 degrees.

Will the robot need to know when and where the starting line (and therefore
stopping line) be located? Or will the robot simply need to carren he course
following the line?

There will (most likely) not be a start/finish line that the robot will be able
to see.

What constitutes a robot leaving the line? Does that mean that the entire robot
goes off track? I could see my robot infrared eye leaving the line, but having a
search program to help it find the line again. Would this be allowed as long as
the robot doesn't leave the track?

Normally, with Line Following events, it's pretty easy to tell if the robot is
actually following the line, or just randomly driving around.  Sometimes, the
robot will drive completely off the line (because it turns slow) and then
reaquire the line a little farther along the path.  That's generally OK.

However, if the robot leaves the line, skips a 'loop' in the course (takes a
short-cut), and finds the line again, that's usually NOT OK.

If the robot doesn't ever leave the line, the judge doesn't have to decide if
the robot took a short-cut.  :)

Also, if the robot should get turned around and travel in the opposite
direction, will any three complete revolutions around the track count? Is there
a specific direction that the robots need to travel, i.e. clockwise or
counterclockwise?

While the robot MAY be able to travel any direction, once the robot has made one
lap in a forward direction, I think it will have to travel 4 laps in the other
direction, to complete 3 laps.  :)

Generally, (in most line following events) there is a pre-defined direction of
travel, but it isn't posted before the event.

Like I said, these aren't official rules, but you should be able to start
building...

Good luck
Steve