 Robotics / 9625
Re: On the subject of gluing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:23:44 GMT

Terry,

I use acetone for gluing.  I put a piece of blotter paper in a small metal
container, and add just enough MEK or acetone to make it very wet.  Then I
push to bottom of a brick into the blotter paper and hold it there for 1-2
seconds.  Then snap the piece on to another and push together.  This
process is very much like using a rubber stamp.  The glue goes on the
bottom, but not the sides.  If you hold it in the glue for too long, the
plastic will soften and squish out the sides when you push the two pieces
together.

Good luck.
    - pete.

Terry King wrote:

I got a pint of Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) at
Home Depot about 2 years ago...

I will try mixing some with extra plastic to
increase the viscosity.

I have a darkroom exhaust fan and that's my
place for such work.

How about the typical plastic plumbing pipe solvents??
(Rummaging in shop...)  OK:

1. Oatey 'cleaner' for CPVC or PVC or ABS
   "contains MEK and Acetone"
   VOC 850G / Liter  (Means 'almost all solvent')

and
2. Genova Nove Weld P (For PVC Pipe)
   "contains tetrahydrofuran, cyclohexanone and
    dimethylforamide"

There must be a specific glue for the (usually gray)
ABS conduit.  Bet that would work...

Dave, what did you use to apply and control the glue??
Where did you apply it on a typical brick, so that
it was drawn into the joint but didn't appear outside??

--
Regards,
Terry King   ...In The Woods In Vermont

--