 Robotics / 27402
Re: Mars mission IV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:26:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:

And more specifically, here's a working solar RCX robot rover:
http://home.earthlink.net/~stuff.tm/solarlego/index.html

This last, BTW, was the URL I was going to contribute. It's a good clean site
presentation, of a very novel hack to the RCX. Note that while he used non-LEGO
technology (the LEGO solar cells, while robust, have a really poor
power-to-weight ratio, and his "energy can" beats the pants off batteries for
this sort of thing), he's made it all nicely LEGO-clad. And while I'd love to
see this done on the NXT or PF platforms, I suspect that the RCX-based approach
is at this point more viable. The PF & NXT motors are current hogs, with much
higher weight and lower efficiency than the old RCX-era gear motors.. again,
that power-to-weight ratio is going to drive a lot of things.

--
Brian Davis