 Robotics / 27401
Re: Mars mission IV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:48:20 GMT

"Claude Baumann" <cbaumann@ci.educ.lu> wrote in message
news:JxIys1.HME@lugnet.com...
We are currently (and urgently) working on a new edition of our Mars
mission
project (http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/Mars/breaking_news.htm). The idea is
start from our former RCX experiences and add some new features this time.
We
are designing the rover in traditional stud-technology with the RCX.

(Why not NXT? Our issues are: if ever we have to hack a control-brick,
better do
it with an RCX; we haven't the time for long-time tests, so we need to
rely on
our previous experiences).

The rover has already been designed as a kind of Rocker-bogie suspension.
I'll
soon post some pictures to our web-site.

The ultimative challenge seems to be the fully autonomous robot that also
recharges its batteries with solar panels. I'm not sure this can be done
with
the LEGO solar panels. My questions now turn around the circuitry that is
necessary to use the panels to charge 6 NiMH batteries. Probably we'd need
pump circuit with a coil and a pulse control. Has anyone got more reliable
data
about the solar panels? What about the gold capacitor? Has anyone an idea
how to
design such a circuitry? is this a realistic challenge? How far can the
RCX
power consumption be reduced?...

Are there interested people to help me design this?

-Claude

Solar Cell / RCX info -

From the LEGO site:
http://www.lego.com/eng/service/faqs.asp?section=ConsumerService-FAQ-TechSupport&catid=87BC4CA6-D8CD-4BF1-8307-6B52AB45AF02&faqid=1725&tech=true

"  What are the specs on the LEGO Solar Cell and Capacitor?
The LEGO Solar Cell and Capacitor are designed to be used with the LEGO
Educational Division set, but can be used with the Robotics Invention
System. The Solar Cell supplies 3V, 200mA in full sun outdoors, and 3V,
100mA in full sun through a window. You can connect the solar cell to power
a LEGO motor, but the motors require 9 volts to operate at full strength.

For more information on the LEGO Solar Cell and Capacitor, please visit the
LEGO Dacta site at http://www.lego.com/dacta/hardware/solarcell.asp"

Some more helpful info from Lugnet:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=16142&t=f&v=a

Some more recent info involving an NXT from nxtasy.org:
http://forums.nxtasy.org/lofiversion/index.php?t385.html

And more specifically, here's a working solar RCX robot rover:
http://home.earthlink.net/~stuff.tm/solarlego/index.html

Good luck!

-Rob
www.lifelites.com