 Robotics / 26820
Re: HELP! NXT brick flash now read-only!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:47:19 GMT

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

What software did you use to load V1.04?

The Atmel SAM-BA downloader, included in their In-system Programmer
package: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3883

I was using an older version than the one currently available on their
site, though (1.7 vs. 1.8).

It sounds like there is something in there that set the firmware to
read-only after it loaded it.  Can you find any settings like that in that
software?

Well, it would be nice to be able to get back IN to the software to check
for such an option.  I can't bring up the software because it can't find
the Atmel chip to talk to (main screen doesn't display until the software
makes the connection), and it can't find the Atmel chip because the NXT
brick won't go into download mode, and it won't go into download mode
because the stupid flash chip won't allow me to write to it!  Argh!!

Sorry; not mad at you, just a bit frustrated is all.

Even if such an option were present, I don't know how I'm supposed to undo
it if the NXT can't go back into download mode in the first place.

I do recall it prompting me, during the upload of 1.04, to "unlock" (I
think that was the verbiage used) some pages of the flash, and I said
"okay."  I figured this was normal as I remembered reading something about
how there was some sort of "lock" or "security" bit(s) that needed to be
toggled every time the flash procedure was attempted on the NXT (doesn't
putting the unit into download/SAM-BA mode either lock or unlock these
bits?).

Thanks for responding,

--
Nathan Anderson