 Robotics / 26380
RE: TLG & MIT Media Labs spawn another product: PicoCricket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 02:09:46 GMT

Dennis Williamson said: "It's $250. I'd buy a Nxt and spend ten or
twenty bucks at the craft store instead."

Yes. But you're an adult and not the target market.

The NXT and PICO cricket are two different products with different
target market segments. Here's some brief comments; I hope to write a
blog entry soon with more details.

My four year granddaughter's attention span for the NXT is about 5
minutes. However, she happily spent all afternoon last Sunday with her
22-year old Aunt building a "playground" with the kit. They had as much
fun playing with the pipe cleaners, cotton balls, etc in building a tree
and slide as they did with the motorized merry-go-round based on Lego
parts.

It has a graphical programming language that is more basic but far
easier to learn for a young child to use than NXT-G.

It also has some features you can't find on the NXT. It has a really
neat user controlled light output; it looks like a tri-color LED with
variable intensity for each color. It has better sound playback -- you
can select from 20 or so different voices (piano, trumpet, bells, horse