 Robotics / 26363
Re: Great Ball Contraption at BrickFest '06
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:54:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Chris Magno wrote:

Janey, did the initial test, and others have since confirmed
that NO, the 2 balls are different in size.  A soccer ball
will fit with room to spare between 2 studs. and a "horta
egg" is slightly larger then 2 studs.

   Yes. So the bad news is a lot of standard GBC modules will break if they hit
a Zamor sphere, so they really can't be used unconstrained in a GBC. the good
news is there are a number of GBC modules that can process both easily, so if
you build one that works with your spheres, it is likely to work with soccer
balls.

People have talked about using both balls, and having a mech
to sort them.

   Yes, it's something I really want to do, actually... but first, I've got to
finish the other five dozen "good ideas" I've got in line (and mow the grass).

[Horta eggs] the term steve came  up with to describe them.

   No, I'll defend Steve on this one - that was actually the name I labeled them
with, because I couldn't (for some reason) remember "Zamor spheres".

I found this out.  I bought five boxes of Zamors (50 balls) that were going
cheap when the LEGO store in Kingston, UK, was closing down.  Unfortunately,
they're too big to go through something like the 2x2 shaft of a ball pump.  I
had to buy some footballs at Bricklink prices.

They'll work on something like the wave bed, moving steps or scooping modules,
but they're not going to work the same on something that uses narrow channels
like the ball pumps, catpults, spinning-wheel launchers or staircases.

You could easily have two loops - a smaller loop for Zamors and a larger one for
footballs, that share a common stretch of modules.  Those modules would need a
higher throughput though.

Sorting them is easy - just two beams 2-studs apart.  The Zamors will run along
the top and the footballs will fall through.  Of course there are probably far
more elaborate methods possible...

Jason R