 Robotics / 25104
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:34:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Kyle McDonald wrote:
Simon Bogaert wrote:
You're right...  But if the other dimensions are still within close
range of those of a RJ11, I guess roll-your-own connectors can 't be
that hard...

Actually the offcenter connector has a name already. If I recall
correctly it was RJ-12.
6 wires, off center. I think DEC used them on keyboards and serial ports
on VT-xx0 terminals a long time ago. I'm pretty sure they can still be
found.

It's probably good LEGO didn't pick a standard RJ-11 jack, I'd hate to
think of what could happen to the NXT (or the child) if a kid eve
plugged it into a real live phone line.

I am sure that safety was the reason. But I checked out the old DEC connectors
and I think they were polarized to the opposite side! grrrrrr

JB

It just dawned on me, and I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet but…

It would be simple to take the LEGO connectors and attach a standard socket to
it (such as RJ11) thus making an adaptor so standard plugs could be used in
making custom sensors.

NXT - LEGO plug - small wire - RJ11 socket - RJ11 plug - long wire - custom
sensor

Which makes me ask: Can anyone tell if the new sensors have the wires attached
or if they have sockets just like on the NXT?  If they are not permanently
attached then we won't have to sacrifice a sensor to get the plugs.  One wire
would yield two adaptors.  I'm really hoping that the sensors have sockets so we
will be able to use various lengths of wires depending on the construction of
the robot.

-Tim