 Robotics / 25102
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:03:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
Anyway, my GBA is one thing I'll be trying to connect to my NXT. I might even be
able to bootload the GBA from the NXT, which means I (and other people with
their GBAs) won't need to have a program on a blank GBA-compatible flash-RAM
cartridge.

That sounds pretty interesting as a GBA is a decent controller compared to
celphone buttons.

But, is there a programming language that covers enough celphones? This would
make that project more practical for the range of impact. There is already this:
http://alex.seewald.at/BlueCar/

Right now, I am looking for a pda with usb host. That could solve the memory and
video processing issues like the Robo-sapien brain transplant. I presume that
real time data logging should be possible across usb. I wonder:
Can the usb connection start running programs on the fly?
Can several NXTs can be hubbed using USB?

Some other thoughts that I made over at fbtb:
I really hope that we get some backward compatibility. Specifically, an infrared
EYE sensor needs to send/receive signals with the old RCX's. Extra icing would
be the 6m commercial irda range vs the 1m range of pdas. That would be the
easiest and best hurdle. Second, a digital wire to 2x2 convertor could maybe
send power to the old motors and get a signal from old sensors.

I am a bit surprised that the finished models do not show more gears. That seems
to greatly reduce the system flexibility. I really don't mind less wheels. My
LEGO experience has always been oversupplied with wheels.

I am glad that the display is good for something. Having to always analyze the
datalog on a PC is a pain.

Mounting the brick could have some top/bottom/front/rear pin holes but that is
not a big issue. I am really curious about the bottom of the brick. What
features does it have?

I too think the motors and sensors look amazingly large. That's probably to
appeal to the younger tinkerers. Studless pieces are supposed to make it look
more "human" and thus more "friendly". And Studs are not that strong for robots.
So, this should get these sets into junior school and high school is a great
thing.

The motor's 5 point mounting wheel looks like it will be really torque. Maybe
that is why they are larger. The axle hole THROUGH it will be very versatile.
Can anyone tell me what might be in the arm of the motors?

I hope one of the first pieces to come out is a multiplexer. Running more
sensors and motors from one RCX has always been desired.

I am very glad about who the chose for MUP. I think they made a very positive
influence on the product for us.