 Robotics / 24975
24974  |  24976
Subject:
NXT power (was memory, prog. langs etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:52:18 GMT

My 2c based on some experience with high-level robotics programming (vision,
navigation & mapping, etc):

While it is concievable that you could write some sophisticated mapping and
analytic software on this platform, it will require deep low-level hacking
in C and assemply, knowledge of drivers & I/O chips, and in general would be
a professional-level embedded systems project with development times
measured in man-years.

Alternatively, this sort of software can be written (and various existing
commercial and open-source projects can be leveraged) on a full PC system.
So I see two paths towards doing more serious stuff on NXT:

1) Do the hard stuff on a PC.  Bluetooth is the obvious candidate here,
though it should be noted that it's probably too slow to do any serious
video.  Another tack might be to build or adapt an existing wifi part to
communicate over USB.  Then you could get into the megabit range.  Yet
another approach would have the high-datarate sensors (particularly the
camera) communicate over WIFI to the base computer, which then sends data
and commands to the NXT.

2) a community project (like brickos,lejos etc) to write some powerful
low-level routines that present themselves as function calls to a high-level
language.  Candidates would include video, mapping, various navigational
strategies, and so on.

These approaches are not mutually incompatible.  I would expect to start
with 1), find out which approaches are really fruitful and interesting, then
move to porting the best stuff to the NXT directly as in 2).

There is a third option, depending on what TLG's attitude is really going to
be towards third-party add-ons: build a ground-up NXT clone that is much
more powerful and capable.

-dbm

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com