 Robotics / 24876
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:46:25 GMT

If Lego obeys the USB standard and uses fullsize receptacles, it'll be a "B"
type connector on the NXT.  Hence, you'd need a B-male to A-female cable,
which is "illegal" according to the USB  standards.  You might hack up your
own, but that's cheating... ;-)  So there's nog "legal" way to hook up the
low speed IR tower (fixed A-male connector) to the NXT brick.  Also, I
repeat my concerns that Lego won't be putting a host-capable USB solution in
the NXT brick.  Until we have certainty about that, It's all just guesswork,
and I certainly wouldn't count on using the USB port as a means of out-bound
communications other than to a computer.

Regards,  Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jordan Bradford"

I thought of this yesterday. If I end up as one of the 100 people who get
it
early, I'll connect a LEGO USB tower to the NXT USB port and see if I can
get
the NXT to control the tower. I assume I'll need a USB type-A to type-B
converter. As for the actual control, I'm hoping it's just a matter of
hacking
the USB driver in the Mindstorms SDK.