 Robotics / 24868
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:44:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Matthew Davidson matthew@blank.org wrote:
   On Jan 5, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Ross Crawford wrote:

   Yeah it woulda been nice if the new one had IR as well and be able to control the “legacy” bricks. I’m sure the old ones will find a myriad of uses doing simpler jobs like moving cows heads on train layouts ;)

Interesting scenario. Perhaps someone can work up a homebrew bluetooth to IR repeater. Sound crazy? I’ll believe anything after what I’ve seen people accomplish with the RCX, extending it with gameboys and such. I’m sure there are existing portable devices with both bluetooth and IR that can be hacked.

I thought of this yesterday. If I end up as one of the 100 people who get it early, I’ll connect a LEGO USB tower to the NXT USB port and see if I can get the NXT to control the tower. I assume I’ll need a USB type-A to type-B converter. As for the actual control, I’m hoping it’s just a matter of hacking the USB driver in the Mindstorms SDK.

It would be cool to control the NXT from a Gameboy Advance using Bluetooth. I’ll maybe tackle that, too.