 Robotics / 24870
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:00:03 GMT

Personally, I think of the four extra "technics" holes as an added plus, not
exactly a necessity...  But then again, I'm not as seasoned a builder as you
all are... :)

Now, when you're talking car-like vehicles, I'd like to point some issues.
First of all, since you can 't piggyback two motors on the same output port,
you'll have to use a differential of some kind if you want 2 wheels for
propulsion.  Out goes the advantage of a direct-wheel connection.  Should
you want to use two motors directly connected to a wheel, you'll have to use
two ouput ports, leaving no ports to do something sensible with.  (because
we're talking cars, you'll need a third motor for steering ;-)  Differences
in speed between both motors should be correctable, though, for all new
style motors sport a rotational sensor.  Last point: what about independent
suspension?  I wouldn't like the idea of putting a motor so close to the
wheel/ground in an ATV...

Regards,  Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Barnes"

This is, of course, true. However, I would point out the general
construction of
rear engined race cars typically include the transmission and engine as a
single
unit which also forms part of the vehicle structure. With the apparent
improvement in the available attachment points as seen in the pictures,
the new
motor may also serve as the structural wheel attachment element.

JB