 Robotics / 24849
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 04:22:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mike Walters wrote:

1)  I'm stunned by this announcement!

   Don't worry, that has nothing to do with you being new to all this - we all
are! Well, all but a luckey few...

The existing RIS/RCX system does appear to be abandoned,
but Mindstorms lives on.

   I doubt it will be completely abandoned. After all, the first thing I want is
to kludge a way to interface a NXT with and RCX, and use all my existing stuff.
Even if LEGO makes it completely non-backwards-compatible, that doesn't mean we
(AFOLs) will let it stay that way! Second, I wonder if this means FLL will try
to switch. If so, great for the new product... if not, there will be at least
some continued support.

It appears that the NXT does not allow parallel connection
of sensors in this way.

   Maybe, but that might just be a case of needing to make some connector blocks
for the sensor wires. It might come down to a question of if the NXT uses
digital or analog inputs, and we don't know yet.

it won't be as simple as just plugging multiple ones in to a
single port.

   It could if they're analog. I fear we'll have to wait and see.

I still think it would be cool to build robots that use both the
RCX and the NXT.  I mean, if you've got the RCX and all those sensors,
why not use them?

   Absolutely! I just hope the eBay market price drops so I can get RCXs cheaper
;-). That said, yeah, inter-brick communication is going to be a high priority
for me.

I wonder if there will be Technic parts kits made available
specifically for expanding NXT?

   I have a theory on that - expanssion packs are called "everything that LEGO
produces ;-). Seriously, one place I'd love to see things headed is to LEGO
Factory NXT... oh, just the idea... :-).

--
Brian Davis