 Robotics / 24813
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:52:03 GMT

Jonathan Spitz wrote:
. Digital wire interface allows for third-party developments
Does having 6-wire digital cables means a whole new realm of possible custom
sensors and output applications?

   Speculation: I think we're looking at some sort of i2c-like type interface here, where
you'll find continuous power on one of the pairs and the other two pairs being used as
some sort of high-speed digital bidirectional full-duplex or point-to-point half-duplex
bus with an arbitration scheme. This would theoretically allow for any number of sensors
and motors to be used at once (power limitations permitting). Ports 1,2,3 and A,B,C might
all be identical, really. Some sort of passive or active hub device (like a USB hub) would
be needed to connect more devices, but electronically you wouldn't be limited to 6. It's
just 6 ports on the main brick.

   Wilder speculation: For all we know, it _is_ USB in there, just on a custom connector
with extra pins for some purpose. I kinda doubt it, as USB is a heavier more complicated
protocol than this calls for.

   This picture:
http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/LEGOAboutUs-PressReleases/images/2057/picAA00C400-D0CE-4118-8762-82A18499E875.jpg

   Shows ports 1-3 connected to sensors, but the rangefinder sensor is connected to a
fourth (unlabeled) port next to them. The motors are connected to ports marked A-C on the
other end of the brick. The USB port is apparently the fourth port on that end.

   Of course, I don't know if that's actually a photo, it looks more like a 3D rendering
of a prototype, so it may not reflect the final final configuration anyway.

And, how is bluetooth compared to IR on
speed and reliability?

   Bluetooth should SMOKE Infrared for speed and reliability.

Finally, can you use your Bluetooth headphones as a
baby monitor for your new NXT?

   It seems like a definite possibility. Depends on how much expandability the NXT offers
in its BT (bluetooth) communications profiles. I am _very_ excited about the BT options.
Wireless mice, keyboards, NXT-to-host communications, GPSes (somehow), almost any digital
device can potentially be cobbled onto bluetooth or the 6-wire digital bus. NXT is much
more in the class of a real robot than RCX was. RCX was impressive for it's time, but NXT
is the robot for today.

--
      Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
  "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,