 Robotics / 24097
24096  |  24098
Subject:
R2D2 Sounds - A Warning my RCX has laryngitis.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:17:50 GMT

I recently read a post from someone wanting to
generate friendy sounds similar to R2D2 using an RCX.
I thought this was a good challenge so set out to try.
I was getting to the point where I could generate a
number of similar friendly sounds and then the RCX
stopped generating sounds completely (except for beeps
from the On-Off button when pressed).  This happened
within an hour!

I can only assume that the repeated intensive use of
the oscillator circuit has burnt out some component.
All other functions of the RCX seem to be intact.

Does anyone know the location of a circuit diagram for
the RCX?

The algorithm I was using (in Robolab) to generate the
sounds was as follows:

Select a start frequency.
From this calculate half and quarter of same
(harmonics 1 and 4 I think).
Select a frequency step size.
Select a note duration.
Select number of loops.

The sound is then generated by interleaving the
playing of the 3 harmonics for the selected duration,
stepping up or down as the program loops.

I was intending to create a subroutine which would be
passed parameters (frequency, duration, step and
loops) to create different sounds which could then be
strung together.

I suspect that the intensity of the switching has been
the cause of my RCX getting laryngitis.

For anyone who is game I have attached an image of one
of the programs I tried.  Don't over do it if you try
it.

Cheers

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: image/bmp; name="Sounds.bmp"