 Robotics / 23158
Re: Replacement Firmware Released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:
First "official" version of Mindstorm replacement firmware can now be
downloaded ....
Congrats again on the significant 'smart stuff'! Your feedback on the sensor
bugs  did the fix at the right time too. This firmware obsoletes a lot of
Robolab and other RCX approaches, and analog interfacing ... What am I talking
about? Motors work on 'pulsed power'. We are planning to use the program pulse
shaping as our digital interface to the outside world, (or ditto w/sensors) and
can communicate with well over 30+ separate outside world items from a single,
unmodified hardware, RCX motor output (128 is a theoretical limit ... pulse
width/stability/duty cycle...etc) via darlington optocouplers affording 7000v.
of isolation for the RCX. With a breadboard trial,we are just up and running an
HO model train (does not have DCC) with track switch(es) control
(throttle+direction controls too),location(s) detect, and insulated track
block(s) switching! Having a lot of fun. Look forward to working with the
'floating math' and more speed. NQC is the marriage partner!
SEASON'S BEST ... at least my grandkid and cat thinks this is so ...
Eddieeeee