 Robotics / 23159
Re: Why NQC over Robolab?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:57:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Thomas Johnson wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:
If the latter then NQC already supports the MicroScout and the Code Pilot for
both the Scout and the Spybot targets (and via custom NQC headers files the
RCX).

It is the latter.

Then I would like to announce that NQC supports the MicroScout and CodePilot
bricks.  It has had this support for several years.

I suspected as much.

Does Robolab support the Spybot?  If not, why not?

I've never messed w/a spybot so I can't give a definitive answer but if the
spybot is controlled via VLL, then it should be supported.

The Spybot is a fully programmable lego brick like the RCX and Scout.  Like the
Scout its firmware is in ROM.  It has about 4K available for user programs (only
one program slot).  It doesn't have a datalog, but it has a large EEPROM area
for storing data.  It has very powerful IR features for communicating with other
Spybots (as well as Scout and RCX bricks).  It has VLL output capability.  It is
the least expensive programmable brick available, but it is also the least
flexible with respect to its outputs and inputs (sensors and motors are all
built-in).

Well crud.  Now I'm going to have to go out and get one of those things.

To say that Robolab has support for the Spybot would require that a user could
write a program in Robolab targeted for the Spybot, with blocks that
specifically represented its capabilities for finding and tracking the position
of other Spybots, defining and using LED animations, defining and using sound
effects, EEPROM reading/writing, etc...

Suffice to say, Robolab does not currently support the Spybot.  Sounds like an
interesting project though....

Tom