 Robotics / 18729
18728  |  18730
Subject:
The Complexity of Buying Technic Parts (Gears, and Offbeat Parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:10:23 GMT

I recently started looking at some of the offbeat parts (not in the Mindstorm big kits) mentioned in
Dave Baum's book and the Ferrari brother's book. Here's a preliminary list:

    Flex (wire) system--pg. 159 of Ferrari
    Tile plates with no studs--pg 158 Ferrari
    Shock absorber--pg 158 Ferrari
    Gear boxes--pg 156 Ferrari
    Misc gears--pg 155 Ferrari
    Differential gears
    Pneumatics (service pack #5218)
    2 Steering Gear Bearing (Rack/Pinion), #5295
    2-16 tooth gear, #5229

Basically, the # items are Lego numbers (service packs) from Baum's book. Items from the Ferrari
book are marked as such.

In the interest of purchasing some of them,  it looks to me like there are 3 basic sources for
Technic parts:
   Shop at Home
   Bricklink
   Pitsco (Dacta)

It looks to me like there is no central place to get all the items. For example, individual items
are purchasable from Bricklink but not service packs, and, although I don't list any #9000 series
items (for example, a rotation sensor, #9756), these items cannot be purchased from Shop at Home. Is
that about the way the game is played? Further, Dacta is the educational arm of Lego, and it seems
as though one might not be able to purchase from their catalog unless they are associated with an
educational institution. Is that correct? This stuff is pricey enough without having to buy small
quanties from several different sources and incurring heavy shipping prices for small quantities.
Any comments?

--
      Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet), Nevada City, CA

      "He allus said, "Don't take life too serious, it ain't nohow permanent."
                                            - Walt Kelly, Pogo
                        Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
           Imaginarium Museum: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html>