 Robotics / 18728
Re: Sword fighting robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:59:58 GMT

"Carl Kadie" <carlk@msn.com> wrote in message news:H17FH7.IAE@lugnet.com...
IDEA:

<snip cool idea>
PROBLEMS:

How can the two robots keep the right distance and orientation from each
other?

My first thought is to have each robot search for a colored spot on the
floor.  The dots would be spaced at the correct distance from each other.
Each robot would be programmed to look for a specific color.

Orientation might be a bit harder.  You could have each robot, once thier
dot is found, begin rotating about the dot (at different speeds) until they
find each other.  I would have the RCX send messages through IR and look for
the other bot by the message signature.  10 = robot 1   20 = robot 2  or
something like that.

How can they move their swords precisely?

DETAILS:

    We have two RXC 2.0's. 5 Lego motors (and one homemade one), two light
sensors, 3 touch sensors, 2 light sensors, 1 angle sensor, 1 remote • control.
a good collection of regular Technic and regular Legos. If needed, I would
buy more stuff for this project. I'm programming in NQC.

Don't forget about the clutch gears.  You may be able to have each sword
swing to a set maximum in each direction.  A pin would be enough to stop the
sword from swining all the way around, while the motor continues to spin
through the clutch gear.  When the two swords hit, they would stop each
other.  Then the action becomes a matter of timing.

<snip>

This is an interesting challenge, regardless of the parts available.  Good
luck.

// Joe