 Robotics / 17963
Re: NQC "No reply from RCX" Help Please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:54:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Dave Baum writes:
In article <GwE5w8.B9t@lugnet.com>, "Jeff McClain" <jmcclain@spro.net>
wrote:
Well, I'm having a similar problem, but in my case, NQC and bricxcc just
don't even ever see the brick.  I have firmware installed, and the Lego RIS
2.0 software works and communicates perfectly with the brick (little green
light on the USB tower and everything...can download basic programs, etc).
Problem is, Bricxcc says it can't see the brick and NQC says there was an
error "could not open serial port".  The little green light never goes on in
the tower.

<snip>

What version of NQC are you using?

As for WinXP, I don't think NQC itself should have any trouble, and if
the RIS software is working, then I'd assume the Lego USB driver is also
ok.

The most likely thing I can think of is some program is running that is
holding open the USB Tower port.  I think Jeff told me via e-mail that he is
using the latest release of BricxCC/NQC.  A less likely alternative would be
a misconfiguration/improper install of the USB Tower drivers that would
somehow not cause the RIS software to similarly fail.  But that seems far
fetched.

John Hansen

I'm about to go ahead and wipe the laptop hard drive and just reinstall
WinXP and see if I can get everything working from a clean install.  I've
done a LOT of things on this lap top and had quite a few USB devices
installed...

-Jeff McClain