 Robotics / 15794
Re: Rotational -> linear motion pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:18:40 GMT

Thanks for the pictures! If that's the stairway, I'm
very interested in seeing the rest of the museum.

I thought the square gears at the end had an offbeat
charm, though I don't really see how they produce
linear motion....

--- Elijah Meeker <emeeker@austin.rr.com> wrote:
Hello,
I was recently at the Museum of Science and Industry
in Chicago and in the
green stairwell they have a display of mechanisms
that modify rotational
movement. I took pics of them all and I thought
folks might like to see them.
There are descriptions with each, but I couldn't get
them in the picture very
well. I hope they inspire somebody as much as they
did me!

http://home.austin.rr.com/thehiding/mechanisms.html

Elijah

P.S. they have a Mindstorms workshop you can do
there, about 40 minutes long,
but I skipped it as there was too much else to see.
What an amazing place,
it's worth it's own 2-day vacation to Chicago. Add
another day or two to
swing over to the Field Museum (home of Sue the
T-Rex). For any dinosaur fans
out there I was hoping to see the Jobaria Tigedensis
mounts that Paul Sereno
did, but they weren't anywhere that I could find.
--
Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics