 Robotics / 15027
Re: Pneumatic Pump Testing Goes Hi Tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.dacta
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:43:13 GMT

c s soh wrote:

Jennifer Clark wrote:

One type of pump I've not seen you test yet is a varation of Michael
Powell's using an 8 tooth gear onto 40 tooth gear reduction rather than the
belt drive, as this seems to improve performance significantly.

I don't know how or why but I don't seem to have come across it. I guess
I could try to build one but it'll help if you could give me a link or
reference to it.

Sure - I made a rather ugly version of it including limit switch for my skid
steer loader model. There is a picture here; I don't actually think many
modifications other than replacing the small and large pully with 8 and 40 tooth
gears were needed. I still see this compressor section as Michaels's effort
since the modification is fairly obvious;

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/ls160_lrg/ls160_compressor_pic1.htm

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/ls160_lrg/ls160_compressor_pic2.htm

I added an extra 9V motor for the excavator model to provide increased airflow,
although I suppose that is cheating ;-) anyway, the picture is near the bottom
of the page:

    http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/excavator.htm

I also have a hand controller with built in limit switch, although it is really
the same as Ralph Hempel's design spread flat and using the full pump stroke:

   http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/ideas.htm

Well, I can have a go at it. But really, with this pressure sensor
thing, limit switches would soon be obsolete. For you can sense the
pressure (using a light sensor watcher in RCX code, for example) and
shut off the pump motor at whatever level of pressure you require. Going
hi tech all the way, y'know!

True enough! But some of us Luddites don't even have an RCX :-)

The pressure limit switch is also a lot cheaper and more compact to include in
models than the RCX.

Jennifer Clark