 Pirates / 4506
4505  |  4507
Subject:
The L’Administraeur Rouge (a two decked brig in Port Brique!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 00:03:17 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Ahoy,

Since the settlement of Port Brique in 1801, there has been a wide variety of vessels calling it home. But no two deckers. Until now.

Although wide and ungainly, brig-rigged L’Administrateur Rouge packs a broadside seldom matched, while her ample cabins make her a suitable alternative to the aging Misérable as the flagship of the French Colony.

Reportedly, an experimental Dutch vessel, captured in the Straits de Torres in December 1806, the L’Administrateur Rouge now under the command of the colony’s second best captain, patrols the waters around Port Brique administering the law of revolutionary France (hence L’Administrateur Rouge).

I have toyed with the idea of building a two decker for a while, but haven’t had the time, or the willingness to sacrifice on of my larger vessels for the hull. Over Christmas, I got the old brig Madame Thenardier out of storage, intending to rebuild her as a new brig, but I decided instead to use the Madame’s hull to experiment with some ideas I’d had for building a two decker, and particularly building a double gallery. The result is the L’Administrateur Rouge.

The L’Administrateur is not by any means a serious vessel, but it has allowed me to toy with cross sections appropriate for a two decker. The deck spacing works out quite well, and while the join of the angled gallery to the cabin betrays my lack of red inverse tall slopes somewhat, I think it works reasonably well.

The rig is straight from the old Madame, but with extra mast sections added. (What were once the mainmasts are now the topmasts (with new fighting tops added), what were once the courses are now the tops’ls and so on). The bowsprit is new, and uses a 4+ pirates mast section along with a column of 2x2 round bricks, to achieve a reasonable length.

Looking at the L’Administrateur, I can imagine it being two or three hull sections longer, with the current foremast becoming the main, the mizzen where the mainmast is now, and a foremast added. Maintaining the current gun spacing, means that each extra hull section would yield eight extra guns… this would mean that a four centre section version of the L’Administrateur would be a 40 gun ship!

More pics on brickshelf.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers

Richie Dulin