 Pirates / 4409
Re: Expanding the range of pirate headwear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:05:19 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Ahoy,

It’s no secret that I’m a fan of the much maligned:

    7075 Captain Redbeard's Pirate Ship
134 elements, 4 figures, US$40, 2004
LEGO > SYSTEM > Pirate > 4+

I also like that set a lot, I have two myself.

   But the figures included have been an issue for me, so I finally decided to write them off, but make some use of them:

I also have used one of the hats, and I loved the look of it. I have only used one so far because it was so difficult to remove from the head. I don’t have any fancy tools, so I used a sharp knife and just dug away at it for a while until I had enough out to glue it to a head. I’ve also done it with a hairpiece from what I believe was a creator set with a girl with orange pigtails.

   And yes, the brims are a little big... but it gets pretty sunny on the quarterdeck in the Carribean summer.

I actually like the oversized look. I mean, LEGO figures are really cartoony anyway. Plus it just makes for more variety among my pirates. It gets boring when they all have the same hats, so adding a few different ones here and there makes it interesting. I’m always looking for hats, heads, and torsos that would go good with Pirates just so I can have more variety.

I need to take some pictures of what I’ve done, I haven’t posted anything I’ve done in over a year I think.

-Daniel Yuhas