 Pirates / 4406
Re: The Marathon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 22:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Sean Devolites wrote:
   Ahoy again mates.

My second go around at a ship, I was able to throw some ideas I had after I finished the Corinthian into this. I think it looks better not being as tall and being longer, but I’d be interested in hearing everyone else’s opinion as well.

Some of the differences were custom cannons on the inside to save some interior deck space, and also using some reverse tumblehome if you will.

God Bless, Sean

Ahoy Sean

Marathon is very nice looking!

The white and blue colour scheme sets off some really nice work. I’m not convinced about the ‘reverse tumblehome’, but it certainly yields more usable deck space.

I’m thinking that Marathon would look better with different mast spacing, generally, I work with fore to main distance being double (more or less) main to mizzen... but I don’t think moving the main aft would work on Maraton - so that would leave moving the mizzen foreward.

Kudos for the angled gallery too, but the sterncastle/quarterdeck (‘bridge’) is too boxy. I know it’s difficult to get it to work, though. Maybe try a combination of raising the deck towards the quarterdeck, lowering the quarterdeck (head room in the cabin should be, as in the real thing, fairly tight), and going for a bit more overhang?

Very nice work!

Spotlighted! Thanks for sharing.

Richie Dulin