 Pirates / 3518
Re: The Canoe Myth of .pirates Unmythified
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Surely, the USS Constellation is not canoelike? Well...

When I was at the Lego store in Anaheim just a couple of weeks ago, I looked at the Constellation in passing and I thought it looked a bit canoe-ish (really!).

I’ve had a browse of www.constellation.org, and while I wouldn’t describe the real constellation as canoeish, she does seem long, narrow, and fairly straight sided.

Okay...which Constellation are you refering to? And for that matter, which one is Lego refering to? You quoted the waterline of the original, but if you talking about the photos, those are of the second one built in 1854 (whose proportion is 4.14:1, considerably less than the 5.6 of the Lego model).

The later date explains the long/thin - though not canoeish ;-) - look.

   You are quoting the waterline length. The overall length is 204 feet for the Constitution - and by this, they mean “head (bow) to taffrail”. Anyway, that would make a ratio of about 4.7 to 1 as opposed to the 5.6 (the bow would include anything but the bowsprit) for the Lego Constellation.

You’ve lost me there... how would using a larger measurement for the length, make the length:beam ratio smaller?

Now you’ve confused me: It makes it larger, but that wasn’t the point, since the other number got larger, too.

I see - you didn’t mention any change in the other number.

   I am trying to compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges. The point being that you need to use the 5.6 number, not the 5.0 on the Lego Constellation and then compare that to a similiar dimension on the real thing. The Lego model is too long in comparison to the real thing (vis a vis width), which confirms what I visually concluded: it has a canoe-look to it.

That may be true... but it strikes me as odd that I have not heard it remarked on before. But then, until recent times, the LEGO Constellation has been quite a rare model indeed.

Adieu

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique