 Pirates / 2065

Subject:
Pirate Game Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:41:09 GMT

I have a few more pirate game questions for those of you with more
experience..

1. It says all damage is simultaneous during combat. Does that mean ALL
combat, or each type of combat?  For instance, if a pirate is shot by a
cannon, does he still get to fire his musket? Or if a pirate is killed
by a musket, can he still attack with his cutlass?

2. It says that the ship can turn once at the beginning of its movement.
What if you want to move 6", turn, then move 6", does it take extra crew
actions for this? If you didn't use the free turn in the beginning, can
you apply it in the middle of your move?

3. If a sailor needs to move to accomplish something like loading a
cannon, does he get to move and load the cannon in the same turn, or
does his movement count as his action during the turn and he'll load it
next turn?

4. If a sailor wants to be 'prudent' (aka jump overboard on a sinking
ship) does he need to declare that as his action during the turn, or can
he fire a musket and then jump before the hull damage phase?

5. When a cannon is close to 'crossing the T' of another ship, is the
attacking player required to take the crossing the T minus to hit in
exchange for two damage rolls? Or can they decide which way they want to
play it? If they have multiple cannons, could they choose differently
for each?

6. A player doesn't want his ship to move, but hasn't dropped anchor.
However, he doesn't want to spend any crew actions sailing so all of his
guys could shoot their muskets. I say at this point the referee gets to
move the ship according to the unmanned ship rules. My friend who didn't
want his ship to move, pointed to the rule saying you can just let the
wind slip from your sails. Who is right?

7. Tactical Question - It seems to us after playing, that its vastly
more effective to always aim at the deck and never bother with
grapeshot.  It takes forever to do enough hull or rigging damage to make
them worthwhile.  Grapeshot is just to risky and doesn't do enough
damage to justify the risk.  I could see where in a campaign game if you
were just trying to escape another foe that rigging shots could be worth
it.  Do you think we just aren't following the rules properly?

Thanks in advance!
Roy

Re: Pirate Game Questions
I have a few more pirate game questions for those of you with more
experience..

1. It says all damage is simultaneous during combat. Does that mean ALL
combat, or each type of combat?  For instance, if a pirate is shot by a
cannon, does he still get to fire his musket? Or if a pirate is killed
by a musket, can he still attack with his cutlass?

Hmmmm, well, I handled cannon fire during ship movement, then resolved
minifig combat.  Part of this is answered below.

2. It says that the ship can turn once at the beginning of its movement.
What if you want to move 6", turn, then move 6", does it take extra crew
actions for this?

Yes.

If you didn't use the free turn in the beginning, can
you apply it in the middle of your move?

No.  The purpose is to allow you to change course based on the events as
they stood at the end of the previous game turn.

3. If a sailor needs to move to accomplish something like loading a
cannon, does he get to move and load the cannon in the same turn, or
does his movement count as his action during the turn and he'll load it
next turn?

Kinda grey - movement isn't specifically listed as an "action".  At the same
time, boarding combat specifically says you can move and fight.
Significantly, the other actions don't list movement.  I would think not for
cannon.

4. If a sailor wants to be 'prudent' (aka jump overboard on a sinking
ship) does he need to declare that as his action during the turn, or can
he fire a musket and then jump before the hull damage phase?

Move and fight, fight and move.  Since there aren't any reload rules, I'd
probably opt for not allowing movement and firing, but as the rules stand, I
would think you can.

5. When a cannon is close to 'crossing the T' of another ship, is the
attacking player required to take the crossing the T minus to hit in
exchange for two damage rolls? Or can they decide which way they want to
play it? If they have multiple cannons, could they choose differently
for each?

The ship does not magically turn sideways, so no, you shouldn't have a
choice.  You have a narrow target but if you hit it, the ball is going to
travel along the length of the ship, creating havoc.

6. A player doesn't want his ship to move, but hasn't dropped anchor.
However, he doesn't want to spend any crew actions sailing so all of his
guys could shoot their muskets. I say at this point the referee gets to
move the ship according to the unmanned ship rules. My friend who didn't
want his ship to move, pointed to the rule saying you can just let the
wind slip from your sails. Who is right?

He has left the ship to drift.  The rule about spilling wind is if you are
actually moving (and have commited at least some crew to sailing).  Without
some sort of "way" (movement through the water) a ship had no control
("She's not answerin' the 'elm, Cap'n!").  If he's just flapping his sails,
he's at the mercy of the tides, current, and wind.

7. Tactical Question - It seems to us after playing, that its vastly
more effective to always aim at the deck and never bother with
grapeshot.  It takes forever to do enough hull or rigging damage to make
them worthwhile.  Grapeshot is just to risky and doesn't do enough
damage to justify the risk.  I could see where in a campaign game if you
were just trying to escape another foe that rigging shots could be worth
it.  Do you think we just aren't following the rules properly?

Thanks in advance!
Roy

I'm not sure I agree with the results that you get from the rules as it
stands, so I tend to feel it is a matter of balance.  Historically, shooting
up the rigging (a favorite French tactic) didn't work that well in actually
winning a fight.  If the other ship had carronades (short range cannons that
throw heavy shot), or I was trying to sail away, I'd think about it.
Grapeshot was something you only really used prepatory to boarding (or
preventing such).  Hull shots: it wasn't that easy to sink a wooden ship
quickly.  But I'm not sure that aiming at the hull and the deck was
something that was that precise.  You could aim low, hoping for a below
waterline hit, but you caused the most casualties with solid shot by hitting
the hull (flying splinters).  I'm in favor of combining the two charts for
solid shot.

Hopefully Frank Filz will give you a response - I'd trust his opinion over
mine in regards to the intent of the rules.

Bruce

Re: Pirate Game Questions