 Pirates / 1871
Re: Are 6259 and 6267 Soldiers or Imperial Guards?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 05:56:44 GMT

You have some fine pionts and I agree with you Jon.
I think that Lego would never show the blue and red
actually fighting each other. Just the privateers.

Maybe Todd has just taken it from the Pause guide:
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/pirates.html#Soldiers

Although the Fibblesnork guide supports my case:
http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/pirates/

I think I like the blue best too. On the other hand I
have a lot more reds. And the red admiral is really
cool.

Christian

In lugnet.pirates, Jon Furman writes:
Christian,
I've asked this question in this newsgroup on several occasions, and I'm
Afraid there are no definitive answers.  At some point Lego decided that the
soldiers should switch colors, and it appears that the switch didn't
necessarily happen overnight. Possibly, Lego knew that the old stuff would
still be on the shelves when the new stuff arrived, so they kept it (old
stuff) in the new catalogs so kids would know it was available.  A cursory
look at the 1991 Pirate offering reveals that it consisted of two polybag
pirate / raft combos, the two aforementioned soldier sets, and the rock
Island refuge.  Not a huge offering, especially at a time when Pirates were
Lego's big sellers.
I'd wager that they spent 1991 designing the new sets and gave  the public a
few mid year releases to supplement the line and maintain interest. This is
just an opinion, and I'm perfectly ready to be wrong.
There are several possible reasons, but the one that works best for me goes
like this.  There really needed to be two military forces represented if the
"age of sail" were to be covered adequately, British and Spanish.  the
Pirates themselves would most likely be of British or Dutch origin, raiding
Spanish ships and settlements in the Carribbean (Spanish Main). Since most
acts of piracy were actually made under the guise of privateering - "Legal
piracy sponsored by a specific nation during a time of war" There would need
to be two distinct warring nations represented.  Possibly after three years
of blue (Spanish?), the red (British?) was introduced. (I am aware that the
British NAVY wore Blue uniforms, but there had to be some major distinction)
The main drawback , or argument to this opinion (and a good argument at
that) is the fact that the spanish were most definitely the inspiration for
1996's ill fated Imperial Armada line of Soldiers.  The Morion style helmets
really give it away.

It is possible however that the Imperial Guards were intended to be just an
update of the soldiers, with red being the fresh new color scheme, and they
were introduced in 1992 along with the last batch of Soldier sets produced.

As to why Lugnet lists the final two Soldier sets (1991) with the Imperial
Guards sets (1992), I think we will just have to let Todd Lehman explain it.
As confused as I am about it, His explanations usually make perfect sense.

I hope this starts a discussion here,  see you all soon.  Jon (who
personally prefers the blue soldiers)

In lugnet.pirates, Christian Lindblad Rasmussen writes:
While searching for pirate sets I noticed that 6259 Broadside's Brig and
6267 Lagoon Lock-up are listed as belonging to the Imperial Guards.
Shouldn´t they be under Soldiers?

The 4 sets under Soldiers was released in 1989 and 1990. They all sport
blue coats and flags.
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/pirate/soldiers

The 2 sets in question was released in 1991 and also have blue coats and
flags.

The rest of the sets listed under Imperial Guards are from 1992 through
1995. They have red coats and red flags.
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/pirate/imperialguards

I have visited Brickshelf to see if the old catalog would be of any help.
But they show 6259 and 6267 as belonging to both groups:
As part of Soldiers:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1991/c91de/c91de-18.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1991/c91de/c91de-19.html
As part of Imperial Guards:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1992/c92us/c92us-07.html

The catalogs and the release years doesn't provide an answer.
But the two sets have the same coats and flags as the Soldiers.

Christian