 Pirates / 1766
Re: The Black Rose Sets Sail!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:20:21 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Steve Wooster writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Tom Reed writes:
For All the Pirate Fans out there, I offer my latest creation..The Black
Rose!  She's one of the best of my fleet of pirate ships and I hope you
enjoy her.  Check her out at this address:

http://community.webtv.net/TDReed/BlackRose

Very nice! I like the way the stern of the ship appears to be a skull ( at
least it looks that way to me).

From the color of the hull, it looks like you used the grey hulls from the
flying time vessel. What did you use for the "center" sections? I have seen it
done and have tried using 2x2 inverted slopes. Cant tell from the angle of your
photo what piece you are using, but it looks good in the pic.

Steve
Hi Steve,
The center section is made up of 2x2 inverted dark gray slopes.  In order to
hold them together I had to use a plate on both the top and bottom of the
slopes for strength.  Therefore the whole ship is raised a plate's worth in
height to match.  I created what would be about 3 midsections in length this
way.  Basically it's just two layers of slopes with a 6x8 plate on the
bottom and a 6x8 plate across the first layer to close the span.  You can
put a regular brick or two inside the two plates to help support it.  I just
keep adding plates and slopes until I get the length I need.  The midsection
isn't competely stable until you get it tied in to the other ship pieces
because the top layer of slopes are just connected by one row of bottom
studs.  If you use a regular midsection as a guide it's easy to match the
dimensions!
By the way, I didn't intend to creat a skull feature with the stern but
thanks for pointing that out!
Tom