 Pirates / 1760
Re: Green Ship MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:37:08 GMT

Jason Spears wrote:
  The last pair of cannon, I noticed, aren't on swivels.  Any
  story behind that?

Actually I made this ship in the first place for Evil Stevie's pirate game, so
since this was a the size of a lev6 ship, I needed(wanted) 6 cannons.  Space
constraints made it easier to just to bolt those ones to the deck (so to
speak).  Inside the cabin I felt it would be difficult to be moving the cannons
around so I didn't bother.  I was right too, putting just that one guy in the
back was kinda a chore.

In some ways, I've thought about getting rid of the extra step in ship
class for the larger 16-wide ships. It's a real bear to get that extra
cannon into the ship. One thing that could be done is dispense with the
sloping poop deck, then you can fit a cannon up there. On my Red Seas
Barracuda, I mounted two rotating cannon on the foc'sle. I didn't bother
with the swivel mounts, I allow the cannon to just be swapped to the
appropriate side of the ship.

If you don't mind a bit of red in your spars, you can dramatically
increase your crew carrying space by buying a horde of Axe Carts to get
the red 1x4 plate with rod hooking down. That allows your spars to be
studs up, which means minifigs can stand on them. I managed to at one
point get a good bunch of black 1x4s with the rod hooking down so I will
be able to make a good number of ships with studs up spars.

Frank