 Pirates / 1535
Subject:
Mast bases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:03:47 GMT

Just wondering if anone could enlighten me as to which sets [if any] had a
mast base that has the 4 'dints' for the mast to sit in on an angle to the
sides of the mast base, instead of being front, back, left and right? I got
a mast like this in a collection recently, which contained instructions for
6274 and 6285, but wasn't sure if it was from one of these, or a faulty
part. There are no stress marks, so I'm fairly certain it's not the result
of something twisting it.

Thanks for any info,

Benjamin Whytcross
b_whytcross@hotmail.com

Re: Mast bases
In lugnet.pirates, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Just wondering if anone could enlighten me as to which sets [if any] had a
mast base that has the 4 'dints' for the mast to sit in on an angle to the
sides of the mast base, instead of being front, back, left and right? I got
a mast like this in a collection recently, which contained instructions for
6274 and 6285, but wasn't sure if it was from one of these, or a faulty
part. There are no stress marks, so I'm fairly certain it's not the result
of something twisting it.

Thanks for any info,

Benjamin Whytcross
b_whytcross@hotmail.com

Hello Benjamin

Search for 'crooked mast' to find the discussion about these masts.

Henrik

Re: Mast bases
In lugnet.pirates, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Just wondering if anone could enlighten me as to which sets [if any] had a
mast base that has the 4 'dints' for the mast to sit in on an angle to the
sides of the mast base, instead of being front, back, left and right? I got
a mast like this in a collection recently, which contained instructions for
6274 and 6285, but wasn't sure if it was from one of these, or a faulty
part. There are no stress marks, so I'm fairly certain it's not the result
of something twisting it.

Search for 'crooked mast' to find the discussion about these masts.

   Now that the search engine is back online, he can!  :)

   Aaaanyways, I finally got one of these crooked mast bases.  They're
   all the 9H (I think) sort, as I've never had a crooked short one.
   I got the parts from a Mr Kanehl :), so there's no clue as to their
   provenance setwise--although he did have a BSB and a CC hull in
   there so I'd bet it was from one of the two sets.  I have the other
   sets that contain one--RBR and the island set--and both of those are
   "straight."  AFAIK not all masts from any one set are crooked,
   only some...

   Actually I sometimes wish I had more, to build a ship with slightly
   turned masts...

   best

   LFB

Re: Mast bases
Aaaanyways, I finally got one of these crooked mast bases.  They're
   all the 9H (I think) sort, as I've never had a crooked short one.

<snip>

  Actually I sometimes wish I had more, to build a ship with slightly
   turned masts...

If you're serious, I'll swap you mine for a 'normal' one...

Re: Mast bases
Aaaanyways, I finally got one of these crooked mast bases.  They're
   all the 9H (I think) sort, as I've never had a crooked short one.

<snip>

  Actually I sometimes wish I had more, to build a ship with slightly
   turned masts...

If you're serious, I'll swap you mine for a 'normal' one...

I would also. I think the twist is enough to make the rigging not work
too well.

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Re: Mast bases
Aaaanyways, I finally got one of these crooked mast bases.  They're
   all the 9H (I think) sort, as I've never had a crooked short one.

<snip>

  Actually I sometimes wish I had more, to build a ship with slightly
   turned masts...

If you're serious, I'll swap you mine for a 'normal' one...

I would also. I think the twist is enough to make the rigging not work
too well.

   I'm not fully 100% serious.  Actually I'm considering using them
   as tall steampipes for paddle steamers--we'll see how it turns out.

   best

   LFB