 Pirates / 1167
1166  |  1168
Subject:
Bonnies (Bonny Rabbits?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:51:01 GMT

Warning:  Historical Note Alert!

<academic mode>

Deidre Rushton Brumby wrote:

"Bring back my Bonny to me"

My Bonny lies over the ocean
My Bonny lies over the sea
da da da da da da da da da (might be the first line again)
Oh Bring back my Bonny to me

I think line 3 is "My Bonnie lies over the water" in the original, but it's since
changed to a reiteration of line 1.

The song itself dates from the early 18th century, and is attributed to
Presbyterian notables (i.e., Scots) who remained loyal to the Stuart household
following the Glorious Revolution of 1689.  The Stuarts, both Scottish and leaning
towards Catholicism, had a lot of support also among the Irish and Scottish lower
classes who, not wholly coincidentally, were overrepresented among long-haul
merchant crews (and by association pirate crews as well).

The Bonnie in the song is Bonnie Prince Charlie, Charles Edward Stuart (or Charles
III as he styled himself).  Charlie led the 1745 Scottish rebellion that ended at
Culloden Moor in early 1746; he was referred to as "over the water" because of his
exile in France.  In fact, Jacobite nobles would regularly secret an extra glass
of water on the floor at social dinners (even in companies of mixed loyalty!), so
that when the King would be toasted, the toast would technically be to "the King
over the water" from their point of view--a reference to the Stuart pretender.

</academic mode>

Interesting how a song of Celtic Fringe protest became a children's ditty.  Then
again, it happened with "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" and "London Bridges" as
well.  But by period and by appeal, it's a very appropriate choice for a "Bring
Back the Pirates" dirge.  ;)

Anyways, never mind me, I just work here.

best

Lindsay