 Parts / Modification / *344 (-10)
Subject:
Getting inside the new magnet bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 03:16:07 GMT

Has anyone managed to crack open (without damaging the parts) one of the new 2x4
minifig-magnet bricks?  I noticed that they were held together with a couple
Torx screws, so I bought a precision Torx set (I think it took a T6) and removed
the screws.  The back, however, does not just pop off when you take the screws
out.  I tried a second brick just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, but it looks
like they are _REALLY_ serious about preventing accidents that could lead to
lawsuits.  My take on it is that the screws are in there to prevent the back
from accidentally popping open and spilling the tasty magnetic treats out, but
the back clips into place so even if some mechanically-minded child does manage
to get the screws out, it'll still keep the magnets secured inside.  But I'd
like to get one open just to how feasible it would be to swap some rare-earth
magnets in for the rather wimpy ones they come with.  So, has anyone succeeded
in prying one open without destroying it?

Subject:
New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:19:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
   We all want new larger radius curves and other things. Also, Big Ben Bricks, BrickArms and others have been able to successfully mold and sell new custom parts.

Has anyone ever considered extending this and doing some kind of molding of new track pieces ourselves? Has anyone ever done some investigation of how much it would cost for a mold for a larger radius curve or other new track shapes?

Would people (and e.g. train clubs) be willing to donate towards the (potentially high) costs for producing such a mold? (my guess is that once the mold is made, the actual costs of producing the parts would not be huge in bulk volumes)

I think some people have investigated this in the past for 9V and found that the cost was to great to warrant proceeding. That said, it is probably more feasible for the ‘RC Track’ since you would not have to deal with the metal rails.

However, it appears that LEGO might be fixing the track geometry issue with this nifty new element.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jastermereel08/3335067544/in/pool-legotrains

Only time will tell though.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

With a little modding to the internal curves of the parts shown in the picture above, it might be possible to support ballast from underneath the track like this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Ballasting-Track/ft_ballast_m_bellis.jpg

Mark

Here is a further picture, showing 64 flexible track pieces in set 8867. The gaps between the two halves of each track piece are smaller than in the previous picture, and there are fewer studs for attaching ballast:

http://www.aquazona.cz/smf/download/file.php?id=1729&mode=view

To ballast it means either a bit more modding (4 holes punched per piece, a bit laborious for 1000 pieces in a layout) or a compromise on ballast width. Take two 1x4 plate hinges per track piece, one black and one bley or dark bley. Swap the halves so that each hinge is half black. Attach the hinges to the two studs in the middle of each track piece. It’s better if the hinges face the inside of the curve because the hinge can be opened a bit in some cases. This needs two curves on the layout, each curve using the left halves of one hinge colour and the right halves of the other colour. This will provide alternate black and grey stripes to represent sleepers and ballast. Unfortunately the ballast will not be the full width between the rails but it does have the advantage of not needing any support from below the track.

I first used bi-colour hinges in ballast on the crossover: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3277249

Unfortunately the hinges are not yet available in black, bley or dark bley in PaB online.

Alternatives with clip plates and rods might work, giving a wider ballast between the rails, and perhaps enhancing the randomness because grey and black colours would merge more. It might not be quite so easy to show clear sleepers though, unless grey clips would look like a small ballast spillage on top of them, which is OK in the middle 2ft between the rails.

Mark

Subject:
Ghost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:15:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well here is a little guy I have been working on that I thought you guys would like to see:

Enjoy!

Kaminoan

Re: LEGO 7996 Crossover Motorized and Ballasted - Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 18:50:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
The real broblem with the 7996, wether you metalize it or not is the linked
switch controls. My next project is to split the controlls and add solenoids for

I wish that I had read this a few months ago (when I should have).  I just
bought a 7996 with the intention to convert it to 9V.

I am very disapointed that you can not have both of the parallel straights
switched to go straight at the same time.  The switching only allows for one to
be straight and the other must curve.

I'd be happy to know if you have a good method of splitting the controls and
adding solenoids!

Does anyone else have experience with splitting the 7996 controls, or adding
solenoids to a regular 9v switching point?

Thanks,
Scott

splitting the controls for the doubble crossover can be done in a couple of
ways. as soon as i get my hands on a set i will write up some instructions for
everyone.

as for selenoids there really is no need. automating 9v/rc switches is fairly
straight forward.  see:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=109777&n=47    see photos that
start with a "z"  also there are literaly probably 100+ solutions to automate
all you have to do is look.
ondrew

I have altered the crossover controls to provide for an all-straight state by
tweaking the springs in the switching rails.

I have also motorized the crossover in such a way that it can be set straight,
TL-BR or BL-TR with two switches (both pneumatic!).

My solution needs just 8 plates below track level in order for there to be no
obstructions above ground, so that larger rail vehicles (8+ wide and 8mm scale)
can use the crossover without grounding or hitting the mechanism.

I ballasted the crossover while I was at it, so that it fits with my layout
ballast scheme.

Pictures here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=147934
Instructions for building it:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Pneumatics/Pneumo-Switch-Points/crossover_info.txt

Mark
Mark J E Bellis 8mm scale LEGO trains

Subject:
TMNT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:02:41 GMT

Adam Reed Tucker kindly allow me to use his buildings to show case my turtles. In the second photo they are battling one of Nannan Zhang’s Monsters.

Brickworld was tons of fun. By the way, the photos are links to Flickr galleries where more images can be found.

Enjoy

Kam

Subject:
Hellboy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:57:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well I made my Hellboy figures for Brickworld and figured I would share them all with you. Here is the clan, enjoy:

Hellboy Figures

Photo is link to Flickr Gallery where all can be found!!!

Just waiting on the hair piece to complete the main character.

Kam

Re: Uses for mirrored LEGO (Was: Which glue?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:09:58 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.parts.mod, Chris Magno wrote:

My guess is either a wiggle light(1), or a solar tracker to
heat "something."

Hmm, I like both of those, but my idea is/was closer to the first. Not to cast a
light, but to reflect an image: have a camera rigidly mounted (so the heavy
stuff doesn't need to move), with a rotating mirror at 45° in front of it on a
turntable (turntable facing the camera lens, not perpendicular to it). Depending
on how that mirror rotates you could look in various directions, sort of like a
lighthouse with a rotating mirror set above the lamp.

Sounds like an interesting idea.

Hey, it's winter down here and you folks north of the border keep sending down
cold fronts - what do you expect me to do, I'm going crazy down here and
seriously thinking about LEGO icebreakers/icecrawlers.

We keep sending down the cold fronts in direct proportion to the atmospherics we
get from the coal burning plants in Ohio

http://www.electricityforum.com/news/jun05/USsmoginOntario.html

Fair is fair

;)

Chris

Subject:
Uses for mirrored LEGO (Was: Which glue?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Chris Magno wrote:

My guess is either a wiggle light(1), or a solar tracker to
heat "something."

Hmm, I like both of those, but my idea is/was closer to the first. Not to cast a
light, but to reflect an image: have a camera rigidly mounted (so the heavy
stuff doesn't need to move), with a rotating mirror at 45° in front of it on a
turntable (turntable facing the camera lens, not perpendicular to it). Depending
on how that mirror rotates you could look in various directions, sort of like a
lighthouse with a rotating mirror set above the lamp.

The good news is I got the ABS glued to the mirror backing using the Stik 'N
Seal Ultra LocTite (& only cut my fingers once). The bad news is a 4" mirror
(the smallest that seems to reflect the whole image) ends up being pretty heavy
itself. Easier/lighter to rotate, but the support system needs to be more than I
originally planned. I'm not sure if I have to try a different technique or not,
but the idea might still work for a smaller camera.

--
Brian Davis

Re: Which glue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:39:20 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Brian Davis wrote:

But I have to ask what the hec is this for?

For now, let's just say I'm thinking of taking LEGO into a whole new range of
environments. Actually, I've had good luck playing with robots in snow and water
lately, so you never know.

My guess is either a wiggle light(1), or a solar tracker to heat "something."

Chris

1. A Type of theatrical light used in disco's and concerts. a beam of light is
projected onto a mirror. The mirror is mounted onto X/Y stepper motors that can
reflect and move the light.

http://www.usedintelligentlighting.com/images/item_images/Cyberlight_Litho___%5B980%5D/cyber2%5B1%5D.jpg

Re: Which glue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:36:19 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, William Webb wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.mod, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.mod, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.mod, Rob Hendrix wrote:

   Has Super Glue been used very successfully keeping ABS parts bonded over time?

AFAIK. Have you heard otherwise? I thought Super Glue was in the same type glue family as MEK.

JOHN

No they are quite different.
MEK is not even a glue or epoxy at all. It is rather a solvent that literally loosens the plastic molecules of the ABS, and allows them to intertwine between bricks. Once it evaporates, the ABS returns to a state almost the same as it’s original. MEK’d ABS is slightly more brittle than the original casting.

I strongly recommend only professionals with adequate ventilation and handling equipment use MEK with any regularity. It has some significant health concerns, and is being phased out of use by the LEGO company. It has been restricted from use in the European model shops for at least the past 5 years.

Most superglues I have used are CA or Cyanoacrylate based.
   Per Wikipedia:
Generally, cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in
   the presence of water (specifically hydroxide ions), forming long, strong chains, joining the bonded surfaces together. Because the presence of >
moisture causes the glue to set, exposure to moisture in the air can cause a
   tube or bottle of glue to become unusable over time. To prevent an opened container of glue from setting before use, it must be stored in an
airtight > jar or bottle with a package of silica gel.

Except for very large, weight-bearing models, I would recommend people use SuperGlue over MEK. No need to expose yourself to the stuff unless it’s really necessary for it to be VERY durable.

Aaron Sneary Former Master Model Builder

As Aaron States, the use of MEK was BANNED from the Lego modelshops back in 1998, and GBL was introduced. Many health issues were being presented and an article written in the LEGO REVIEW magazine, a corporate magazine spoke about the transition, which was needed due to the concerns in negative health effects on employees using MEK. (Which I have a copy of)

Unfortunately or just plain negligence, some shops continued the use of MEK even as late as 2005, when I left the modelshop. I had already started to feel the negative effects as stated on the MSDS, and was growing intolerant of the chemical. I STRONGLY advise NOT to use this even with ‘proper ventilation’ the chemical evaporates very fast and is heavier than air, so it tends to settle down in the room. That is why an extractor is also placed on the surface of the special work tables at the modelshops.

At the modelshop in Mexico, we only had a proper shop for 2 years (under american management), then when moving to a new office, the system was reinstalled, but after a third move, the extraction system was never reinstalled, and the new people that were glueing models indoors with MEK and without ventilation were never informed of the irreversible health damage, which was many times discussed by the people making the decisions. It was usually said ” This is not stuff you want your kids to be around” as a selling line to get funding for the expensive extraction system set up in 1998 Unfortunately when trying to help this individuals, I was immediately sentenced to “shut the hell up, and feel the consequences” and mind my own business. I guess that if the big wheels had their kids doing the glueing, they would take the proper precautions to ensure health and safety, but cheap labor is always easily replaced.

In talks to more than a handful of danish builders, MEK did severe damage to the health of the first generations of model builders. But that is a very well kept secret story.

DON’T USE MEK if you love yourself and life.

There is of course an alternative, if you want to put up with the hassle. Buy a good respirator with a cartridges designed to filter out the MEK. But you need to be careful. You need to make sure that the cartridges are fresh as once in use for a certain amount of time, they of course lose their adsorbtion/absorbtion capabilility. Probably the best way to do it would be to set up a lot of glueing to be done, buy a new cartridge, and then at the end of the session throw away and begin the next session with a new one. Some of the more expensive ones are reasonably comfortable. They WILL protect you as long as you use in prescribed manner. There are many cartridges out there--each with specific properties for specific chemicals. Make sure the ones you buy are specifically state protectiong for MEK. Usually an organic vapor cartridge. Make sure OSHA approved. 3M makes a good one as do a few other companies.

The instant you begin to smell the MEK--and just a small concentration can be perceived--change cartridges. If you want to use in multiple sessions and are confident the cartridge is not used up,unscrew the cartridge and store in a zip lock bag. If one reads the extensive instructions and actually follows them, on will be adequately protected. One should also of course provide good ventilation to expel the fumes from the work area.

Do not skimp and buy a good one. With the new silicone rubbers that have been developed, there are some that are reasonably comfortable. Comfort is number one concern (after adequate protection) so one does not get fed up and say to heck with it.

Most cartridges will tell you the number of hours that they will last (based on the concentration of the contaminant>

Tommy ARmstrong The BrickEngraver www.brickegraver.com

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact