 Parts / Modification / 344
343  |  345
Subject:
Getting inside the new magnet bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 03:16:07 GMT

Has anyone managed to crack open (without damaging the parts) one of the new 2x4
minifig-magnet bricks?  I noticed that they were held together with a couple
Torx screws, so I bought a precision Torx set (I think it took a T6) and removed
the screws.  The back, however, does not just pop off when you take the screws
out.  I tried a second brick just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, but it looks
like they are _REALLY_ serious about preventing accidents that could lead to
lawsuits.  My take on it is that the screws are in there to prevent the back
from accidentally popping open and spilling the tasty magnetic treats out, but
the back clips into place so even if some mechanically-minded child does manage
to get the screws out, it'll still keep the magnets secured inside.  But I'd
like to get one open just to how feasible it would be to swap some rare-earth
magnets in for the rather wimpy ones they come with.  So, has anyone succeeded
in prying one open without destroying it?