 Parts / Custom / 106
Re: A primer on making custom elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 00:54:21 GMT

Hi John

Thanks for your kind words.

In lugnet.parts.custom, John Barnes wrote:
   In lugnet.build.minifigs, Norbert Black wrote:
   A primer on making custom elements for use with Lego(tm) pieces.

Brilliant!

Thanks. :) What you read is iteration 8 (or something of that order) of the document - I hoped people would find it clear, and encouraging.

   Originating entirely new sculpted parts and then working them to a “Lego like” finish is great. And important as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah, me too. I always want to keep things in the range of “Lego could do this” (even though most of my customs would be insanely expensive to produce, with all the decorated surfaces involved...).

I find that getting that “Lego” feel can often be the hardest and most subtle part of a customizing project.

   If people really need to have a good knowledge of what Lego elements are or were actually available to be able to detect your work, then you’ve done it well :)

Well, I’ve had a few double takes and “when did they produce that?!?” comments over the years, so I’m getting there. ;)

   I love your idea of making reinforced internal structure. Curiously enough, that substance has an official name - Paxolin, which is an SRBP or synthetic resin bonded paper.

Oh, so that’s what Paxolin is. Huh. I’ve known the name for years, what with dabbling in British-style model railways. Custom-built track with paxolin ties used to be quite common in that field.

   I have also discovered that “super glue” will soak into paper and make a tough but thin structural element.

Interesting... I’ve always had rotten luck with superglue - won’t stick, and doesn’t keep, at least for me. Still, whatever folks can get to work, right?

   ABS is slightly soluble in superglue and although it slows the curing process, can attach quite strongly. (I have had problems getting epoxy to bond well with ABS.)

I always make sure I have some sort of mechanical bond, even if it’s only a thorough scuffing of the relevant surfaces with wet & dry sandpaper. More often, though, I’ve got a pin running through any epoxied joint (shear strength and all that...) too.

   You can get gel super glue which will retain its bulk after it cures, and can then be machined. I’ve used this occasionally, although with most of my work which just involves re-attaching pieces of ABS to each other, I use MEK with filler. And to repeat your caution, a lot of these materials are bad for you.

Oh, yes indeed! I personally wouldn’t use MEK (methyl ethyl ketone, if memory serves) with anything less than a full environmental suit with appropriate respirator in a room with industrial quality venting and scrubbing equipment. That stuff is insanely toxic and the fumes will stick to surfaces and off-gas for a surprising period of time.

   Keep dust out of your lungs especially epoxy and fiber glass, and keep solvent fumes under control. A fan or an extraction system are important but necessary accessories to a work area.

Yep. You only get one set of lungs, folks! Don’t get scared off, but do treat these materials with great care. Read those safety warnings on the packages, and FOLLOW THEM!

Anyway, to end on a more positive note - thanks again John for sharing some interesting new information. Right - who’s next? :)

Norbert Black