Subject:
WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:40:11 GMT

As you may've heard, WAMALUG displayed a layout at The Great American Train
Show held over the weekend in Gaithersburg, Maryland.  It was a *huge* success,
and we tied for Third place (out of seven or so).  We had one of the largest
crowd draws, with some people hanging around for hours or revisting us a number
of times.  Anyway, some of the major highlights of the show included:

~ Digital Command Control of the trains!  This was fun, allowing us to
individually crash, er *control* the trains, even on the same loop!
~ Larger layout!  It was 120"x160", but this time we had a 120"x200" layout!
~ Motorized Crane!  Not only was it motorized, It like to do aerial
acrobatics!  Like, falling over...  ;)
~ Attack of the 50 foot Minifig!
~ Rich Schamus' Blue Streak and Citrus Express!
~ Long Metroliner!
~ People saying it was the best layout at the show!
~ The double wide Train Bridge!
~ A kid offering to buy my Castle!  After he was told it wasn't for sale, I
decided to price it at $40,000.  :)
~ The elevator in Rich's Tower plumeting to the bottom, eliminating the
annoying protesters on board...  :)

Pictures available here:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=189> (Kevin's pics)
<http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~dan/lego/pics/GATS/index.html> (Dan's pics)
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/zigdon/Wamalug/GATS> (Dan's pics)

Have fun!

Jeff
Announcement God and Founding Member of Wamalug <http://www.wamalug.org>
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

P.S.  Our website is still down, we'll let you all know when it is back up...